Galaxy S Screen BrightnessSupport

Last Updated:

1. STHD

STHD New Member This Topic's Starter

Just got my Galaxy S 2 days ago, loving it so far

but does anyone know any app that works with adjusting the brightness for the phone beyond what default brightness setting

Even on the lowest setting it is still so bright, and on the battery use page it say that the display uses 65% of the battery

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

You can search the market for some bightness widgets or you can use the "power control" widget from your widget list.

3. ironman666

ironman666 Well-Known Member

Bumping this

Widgets on market only do whats allready is in the settings/brightness settings

The lowest brightnesslevel is too bright i think, when lying in bed, or using it as
    gps in the car at night its just too bright

I dont know if its a limitation in the amoled technology, or just software.

If anyone know a tweak or an app, please let me know

4. -Ollie-

-Ollie- Well-Known Member

Agree with this.
    The super amoled screen at its full brightness is great when it comes to use the phone under a sunny environment, and I love my GS for that.
    But quite often, I could use a lower brightness setting than the one allowed by the GS.
    I never thought that the day will come where I could wish a screen to not be so bright :)
    It does not really bother me, I am just thinking in terms of battery saving.
    Now that I have met my new friend "SAMOLED", I doubt I will ever go back to anything that doesn't match its performances.

5. Markiz

Markiz Well-Known Member

maybe there will be some screen protectors to do that. maybe.

6. Eazail70x7

Have you tried the power control widget? When you set that to the lowest setting, how dim does it get?? I have regular AMOLED and it gets pretty dim...

7. ironman666

ironman666 Well-Known Member

I've tried that one too. The power control widget toggles 3 presets, 8%, 38% and 100%

I wished i could go to -30% that would be about perfect for the dark:)

8. -Ollie-

:D
    It does sound like the guy who is never happy, but once again, I have to agree :)
    I am sure (just my belief of course) that it is a SW limitation that can be only be solved in the Samsung firmware. Samsung did not think of people using their GPS in the dark or waking up in the middle of the night and wanting to check the time for example.
    There is probably behind this a wish to show how great is the GS screen, even at his lower brightness.
    Once again, this is just my opinion, and I might not be aware of some technical limitation.

9. DarrenCarnall

DarrenCarnall New Member

so it's not just me then :D

There's been quite a few times when on the phone messenger chatting or surfing at night, when I've though "huh... I must've left the screen on bright" - and gone to turn it down only to find it *was* on the lowest setting.

I too wish there was a way of reducing it further through the 'notification slidy bar' trick at the top (which is SO convenient by the way)

or even a separate app.

10. Eazail70x7

I'll be honest when I say that when my AMOLED screen is at the dimmest (Under 5% it goes super dim), the Screen isn't as colorful and doesn't "pop" as much. But soon as you kick in that brightness, it looks great.

11. sgs

sgs New Member

I agree -30% would be perfect. And I do not think there is a limitation in the amoled technology.

So far, I found two apps that gives you less than 8%, both goes to 0% :
    - Brightness Level by CurveFish
    - Dimmer (Night Mode) by geekyouup

I wounder if it can be done by accessing to the hidden sections with secret codes...

:eek: BTW do not forget that Internet Browser has it's own brightness level, make sure to lower it as well in Browser's Settings.

12. -Ollie-

I almost always use it at its lower brightness. Mostly for battery saving purpose, but also because the lower brightness suits my use perfectly most of the time.
    The only times I set it to full brightness is in direct sunlight or when I play videos, and then I bless the Super AMOLED screen!
    Nevertheless, I still think that the lowest brightness setting could be even lower in many cases :)
    But I don't think I could ever go back to a screen which does not match the performances of the Super AMOLED screen :)

13. EarlZ

EarlZ Well-Known Member

Is the brightness on the SGS and Samsung wave SuperAMOLED screen different?? I find anything under 4 already dim..

14. Domremy

Domremy New Member

I have to agree. The screen is amazing in sunlight with full brightness but at night, even without the lights off, at the dimmest setting it is a little too bright. turn off the lights and its like looking into a car headlight! To read an ebook in the dark i have to use a black background with dark brown text just to reach an acceptable brightness level!

the screen is amazing though and the brightness is very impressive i just wish the setting was more configurable.

15. iwat

iwat Member

I am using the "brightprof" from the market, it can set to around 3%... or you may try the eRay... it also lower the brightness..