galaxy s vs desire vs iphone 4

Last Updated:

1. MisterMonitor

MisterMonitor Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,
    Im choosing a new mobile phone from theese 3 smartphones (galaxy s vs desire vs iphone 4).
    I need good music player[​IMG], good gps, fast and good functionality, internet browsing.
    I like samsung, but i heard that galaxy S lags, and gps[​IMG] lags. Is samsungs lags fixible ?
    And what is the best choice from these smartphones ?

Advertisement
  2. vince1

vince1 Well-Known Member

I just made this choice and here is why.

iPhone 4 was not for me as front and back is glass. I have worked with glass for 10 years, we make ballistic screens and Windows to stop rpg,s, with the exposed glass edge I believe the design is flawed. Also had a 3GS and it stinks that I have to jailbreak it just to change the wallpaper and look of the OS.

Galaxy S. The OS for me looks way too much like the iPhone. If I wanted a iPhone is buy one.

Desire fits what I want, good screen and like sense UI. Has a flash for the camera and the GPS works well, unlike my iPhone which was flakey at getting a lock.

Hope this helps.

3. MisterMonitor

I really like samsung. But people saying that browser lags and while you are turning aplications music lags. And gps is bad. Really dunt now .Which phone to buy :/

4. MisterMonitor

more opinions?

5. MisterMonitor

please help to decide which phone to choose.
    If lags on samsung galaxy will be fixible i will buy it but if not i dont now then what to buy.

6. Kekkle

Kekkle Well-Known Member

Desire or wait for the upcoming Desire Z (with Qwerty keyboard) or the Desire HD which is has a 4.3" screen.

7. MisterMonitor

two people said to me that galaxy S lags very much . Ech it can be perfect phone for me , but it lags

8. cjr72

cjr72 Well-Known Member

I have the Galaxy S Vibrant and I don't notice any lag. It seems some suffer from lag and some don't so maybe check the phone out yourself in the store if possible before buying. To me it feels like GPS takes a little too long to lock on when I'm outside, maybe 30 seconds to a minute. Inside it can take several minutes to lock on. This is my first smart phone so I'm not sure if that is normal.

I hear that the music player that comes with the Vibrant is better than the stock Android player but once again this is my first smart phone. My guess would be that it is not as good a music player as the Iphone 4. I know that the Vibrant music player and other players that i tried on the market do not have gapless playback which does annoy me.

In the end though the Galaxy S overall is a great phone and I don't regret getting it.

9. marefin

marefin Well-Known Member

I have the Galaxy S Captivate and it lags somewhat from time to time. But what I've noticed is that it's mostly on certain apps, which leads me to believe that it's the apps themselves. For example, the Facebook app lags on my Captivate. There is the GPS problem tho, but Samsung "promised" to bring a fix for it soon. And I think Samsung will because this is pretty much their flagship phone and they've really pushed for it so I don' think they'll abandon this phone. Overall, I have no regrets about getting this phone. I converted from an iPhone and I like it a whole lot better.

10. MisterMonitor

Samsung Galaxy S vibrant and Samsung Galaxy S Captivate ? whats the differents of these

11. marefin

marefin Well-Known Member

different carriers. captivate is for at&t and vibrant is for t-mobile. they look different (captivate looks better imo). there are some minor feature differences can't remember what tho.

12. tom_pop

tom_pop Active Member

13. PhoenixFx

PhoenixFx Well-Known Member

They are two operator customized versions of Galaxy S, Captivate is for AT&T US that has a different physical design with HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 3G bands where Vibrant is for T-Mobile with HSDPA 1700 / 2100 3G Bands. Regular Galaxy S has HSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100 3G bands. Apart from those there might be few operator customizations on on the firmware as well.

I have a regular Galaxy S, there is a lag fix which takes care of the so called lag issue. But I haven

14. Rotary

Rotary Well-Known Member

I have the vibrant and it does not lag at all. And for the people complaining about it looks like a iPhone. Well guess what. Samsung had that designed before iPhone and if anything just change the look

15. vbetts

vbetts Well-Known Member

Iphone 4 and the Galaxy S use the same cpu family if I'm remembering right, which is already proven to be faster than Snapdragon. Iphone 4 isn't bad, ios4 is pretty fast and stable too. Plus you get more apps compared to Android, but Android on the Galaxy S just feels smoother, plus it is a bigger screen that's also super AMOLED. Plus if you don't like Touchwiz, you can turn it off or simple use a different Launcher. I like the way Touch Wiz looks and feels, but that's just me.

16. MisterMonitor

i tried galaxy and i enjoyed its UI.

17. micstewart

micstewart Well-Known Member

I was in exactly the same situation last month. went for a Galaxy S over the Desire as felt that the slightly (and I do mean slightly) faster processor, bigger screen and dual cameras gave it the edge.

I've had every iPhone since day one and wanted to break away from being so tied in to one manufacturer.

Galaxy S pros
    SWYPE - is really, really fast with no learning curve... it just works.
    bigger screen - It really is as good as they say... stunning in fact
    front camera - video calls over 3G, H & Wifi (very limited apps available for this though) I've used FRING to connect to other android and Apple 3G & 3GS. Full Skype Android video client promised for release this year.
    Tethering built in (If your carrier allows, you need to check this)
    GPS - no probs with UK models, so probably carrier specific, i.e. sotware issues in the USA and can be resolved. Typically 10-20 Secs to lock on to Sats.
    Browsing is very snappy
    2.2 Froyo is already scheduled for Sept 2010 release.

Galaxy S cons
    Flash - some workarounds but really not great - need 2.2 to fix this
    Speed - some lag but only with certain apps hmmm!
    Kies desktop sync software - I have it working no probs, but lots of people seem to have issues? It's not great, but it does what it says on the tin for me.
    Battery -not really a con, as I fully expected to have to charge it every night as I did with my iPhones... what's the point of having a superb screen and turning the brightness down???

Bottom line is that they are both great devices, with little separating them. My personal experience of the Galaxy S has been superb over the past month and I think that it's only going to get better.

substring likes this.
  18. Shade45

Shade45 Member

I really don't understand how can Touchwiz UI be a dealbreaker for anyone. If you don't like it, just download LauncherPro from the market for FREE...

19. MisterMonitor

so the galaxy S is best choice ?

20. substring

substring Well-Known Member

@micstewart, Thanks for the analysis. I believe the Galaxy S has more pros than cons also.

@shade45, I also don't understand why some people dislike TouchWiz so much. It is really not that much different from Sense and Motoblur.

@mistermonitor, in my humble opinion, Galaxy S is the best choice. :)

21. MisterMonitor

Now i surfed the net and found that samsung have a big problems with gps. thats not good

22. MrX8503

MrX8503 Well-Known Member

What kind of lag are you talking about? The Galaxy S lines have the fastest processors in a mobile phone.

Although if GPS is important to you, I may stay away from the samsung. I'm not sure if its a fixable thing, it could be a mix of a software/hardware problem.

23. micstewart

micstewart Well-Known Member

Some, not all, Galaxy S customers suffer from a noticable Lag when selecting or switching between applications. The LAG seems to be completely software based as different people using different carriers and apps have different experiences of the problem.

There is a 'fix' available for phones that have been rooted, therefore it should only be a matter of time before this is mainstream.

Personally I use a stock Galaxy S in the UK on the Orange network. I've never suffered, although I have experienced the LAG issue. It's never been a big deal for me and I fully expect a future upgrade to OS or firmware to 'fix' the niggle.

The GPS has worked perfectly and is as reliable as my old TOMTOM.

As far as Galaxy or Desire goes, I still stick with my earlier post as the bigger/better screen, dual cameras and slightly faster spec edge it for the Galaxy. They are both great devices.

24. cjr72

cjr72 Well-Known Member

MisterMonitor, I don't know where you live but in the U.S. the T-Mobile Vibrant Galaxy S phone does not come with the front facing camera. I'm not sure if that is the case with Galaxy S variants from the other U.S. carriers.

25. Richard371

Richard371 Well-Known Member

I have played with the galaxy S at the ATT store and it is ok. Once they get the GPS and lag issues resolved it will prob be the best Android phone. I test all the Androids, Iphones, Blackberrys for work and so far the IP4 is my fav device. It is very fast with no lag, good battery life, apps are much richer. GPS is a huge improvement over the iPhone 3gs. They use the better Broadcom chip and seems on par with the android devices. Media player and sound quality is the best. I like the way it syncs and backs up everything in iTunes. Don't let the antenna issue get to you. I think the entire thing was blown out of proportion. People are still buying them and loving them. My calls are loud and clear and have not dropped many if any at all.

I now have the Droid X, incredible, and Droid 2 I play with often but I would never give up the ip4 as my main device.