• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S vs. Motorola Defy

Lol mahmood

May 3, 2010
I bought a Defy for my daughter for Christmas, it arrived yesterday and I've been setting utter up ready for her. As far as i can tell, despite having a lower spec overall, it's faster and more stable than my Galaxy S. For example; it took me about 20 minutes to download and install over 25 items from the Market, one after the other. When i tried the same with my SGS (when i first got it) the phone frequently crashed or froze. Another example; I've installed the Spotify Premium account that we share, and Spotify opens very quickly on the Defy, but very slowly on the SGS.

The Defy's GPS seems to be spot on, much better than the SGS's. I'm increasingly tempted to sell the SGS while it still has some value and buy SIM free Defy.

You didn't apply any lagfixes? Your phone will be so much smoother with voodoo 5 rc1 lagfix, you wouldn't even think about motorola... unless you're a heavy nav user, and you need stable and accurate gps. I don't really have a problem with gps on my galaxy s, it fixes on my position fairly quick (< 30 seconds) and it's accurate.

Upvote 0
I know about lagfixes, and I haven't applied one yet (mainly 'cos I'm hoping Froyo will make a difference, although reports from those who've upgraded so far aren't promising). However; the Defy is fast and stable out of the box, despite supposedly having a lower hardware spec.

I like my SGS, but it annoys me that this high-end phone needs a 3rd party lagfix, which carries a risk of bricking it, to bring it up to the same performance as a mid-level Motorola phone.

Upvote 0
Well, it's just like you said... galaxy s doesn't work as it should out of the box, and requires additional 3rd party lagfix, but i really don't mind. I knew what had to be done when i bought it, and did it on the first day i had it, and therefore i never had any lag problems with my galaxy s. Everything is happening pretty much instantly.

About bricking, there's always a risk when updating software, even with samsung's own kies there have been reports of failed updates and what not... But it didn't stop me from flashing my phone via odin two times per day since i got it. :D It'll never be fully bricked if you can enter download using the 3 button method, and then flash firmware using odin. I did brick it once, but it was because of a faulty kernel i flashed, few minutes later i reflashed it to stock froyo and it's been working perfectly ever since.

So, to recap... If you're willing to put a few extra hours of work in your galaxy s, and make it as fast as it can be, then you should probably keep it (if you don't mind faulty gps). But if not, and you want a full experience out of box, then you should probably buy another phone. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones