Galaxy S vs Xperia X10General

Last Updated:

1. shooting_star

shooting_star Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all ^^
    I am getting an unlocked phone in a few months and was hoping some ppl would give me some advice on which phone to buy... galaxy s or xperia x10 ??
    Please give ur honest opinions.

Here are my pros and cons
    Xperia X10
    + Awesome camera (i love taking photos so a good camera is a must)
    + I love the design (white one is hot)
    + Has a dedicated shutter key
    No multitouch (doesnt really affect me much.. unless it is used in a game, and i dnt think are there many anyway)
    - Internal memory is only 1Gb.. i store alot of stuff on my phone (music and videos) and i am aware an 8Gb sd card is included but apps only work when installed on the phone memory not memory card... im probably going to download a lot of apps and im not sure 1Gb will suffice)
    - 1.6 android though i am aware of the upgrade in Q3 or Q4 so i guess this shouldnt be added.
    - Specs are usually lower than galaxy s

Galaxy S
    + Way more internal storage
    + Specs are generally higher than xperia x10
    + Thinner (i love thin phones)
    - Hate the design (no way as good as the xperia x10 design)
    - Camera not as good
    - No dedicated camera key

Advertisement
  2. Evil Peter

Evil Peter Well-Known Member

The tests I've seen showed that the SGS had sharper images with it's camera, but the X10 had a bit richer colors (which I would call a draw in pure image quality). The SGS lacks a flash and dedicated shutter key though, but on the other hand works much better as a video camera. This part comes down to preference in my view, video camera performance (SGS) vs shutter key and flash (X10)

The beauty of the design is pointless to comment on as it's only your opinion that's important to you in that regard. The SGS being thinner and lighter makes a bit easier to carry around.

You say you don't care about multi-touch unless it's used in a game but I would say a more important function of that is when you want to zoom in maps, in the browser, in documents etc. The pinch zoom feature is a very good one.

If the 1GB on the X10 is available for app installations (I'm actually not sure about that myself) then it will likely be enough since apps don't take up that much space. If it's less it can be a problem. The SGS has 1,8GB free for apps and ~6GB as general storage. I'd by an extra SD card regardless of which phone you pick.

The X10 will, as you say, be upgraded to Android 2.1 but the problem is that phones like SGS and Desire might already have 2.2 by then.

The SGS is, as you say, generally better than the X10 (and the difference is greater since the X10 seems to constantly be an Android version behind) but one point that's important to me is that I find the SGS screen to be much better so it can be worth looking at if you are deciding.

Personally I wouldn't really recommend the X10 as I think it's a bit behind not just the SGS but also the Desire and it was, unfortunately, never amongst my top choices when I bought my phone some weeks ago. But you'll have to think about what you value the most and make a choice since it's your preferences that are important and they can be quite different from mine.

3. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

I considered the two as well, and end up buying Galaxy S simply because X10 won't be upgradable to Android 3.0 (not enough RAM).

4. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

Don't be fooled by the SGS's 5MP camera. The number of mega pixels doesn't always translate to image quality. For whatever reason, Samsung does a great job with their phone cameras.

5. leechgod27

leechgod27 Member

it will get:D....the requirements of gingerbread u may have seen are recommended ones,even @ 384 MB Ram x10 will run on 2.3

6. waspbr

waspbr Well-Known Member

If you really want to have a decent camera experience, then wait a little bit for the Nexus S.

As long as you have light, the SGS is going to take very good pictures, I wouldn't recommend the X10 mainly due to their awful software support.

Also,don't take the lack of multi-touch too lightly, it does come in handy when browsing the internet and viewing pictures.

7. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

My fellow Necromancers, you might want to notice the fact that you are replying to a 5 month old thread.