Galaxy S with ADW Launcher???Support

Last Updated:

1. SupremeBeaver

SupremeBeaver Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have searched high and low on the net trying to find a video of the Galaxy S with ADW launcher. I cant really stand the samsung launcher and want to see how it would look with ADW. Can one of you kind folks here install it and upload a video? I dont have the phone personally but im trying to convince myself to buy it seeing as its the best phone available in Europe and there seems to be nothing good coming from HTC or Motorola.

Also if i was to install either ADW or Launcher Pro on the phone, would that remove all the blue that samsung themed the phone with? Like the notification bar and all the icons in the bar. Check this pic if u dont know what i mean

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

There is no blue theme. It's mainly black.

And yes, any of those home replacement apps (ADW, GDE, LauncherPro, Open Home, Sweeter Home, Panda, etc...) will all work on this phone.

It won't completely remove the TouchWiz stuff, but it will definitely change it. I personally like this version of TouchWiz. Very nicely done this time around.

3. yakboy

yakboy Well-Known Member

Hi there, I'm running WCD launcher on my SGS, was the first app I downloaded. It runs exactly like it does on any other phone, I can't readily post a video.

There is still lots of blue knocking about, too much for me. I much prefer the black/grey of stock 2.1 myself.

I use found the phone to stutter a bit with all and home launches so I am going to try another launcher.

Apart from the Samsung muck the phone is great and clearly very powerful. Can't wait to see some ROMS that clean things up and let the phone shine :)

4. elchingon666

elchingon666 Well-Known Member

5. SupremeBeaver

SupremeBeaver Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

looks good!

6. yakboy

yakboy Well-Known Member

After a few days I've ADW launcher I've switched to launcherPro. First impressions: faster, cleaner, more stable, less hangs. Better.

hanhav likes this.
  7. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

i love that blue accent thats all over the Galaxy S. I actually have the exact theme to mimic it now on my moment. Its called dark blue theme. My notification bar is black as well.

8. lexmeister2

lexmeister2 Member

I've tried both ADW and Launcher Pro, both seem to be roughly the same but LP seems to run a bit quicker so I've stuck with that for now.

9. theredkrawler

theredkrawler Active Member

After 24 hours with ADW.Launcher and 24 hours with LauncherPro, I've gotta say LauncherPro is the better pick by a long way.

Much faster, no crashes (compared to at least 3 FCs I can remember under ADW) and the animations can be sped up without going all jerky.

I dont mind the default TouchWiz setup though, its pretty stylish.

10. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

NOTE: Don't have the phone yet for personal experience.

But on my current old phone, I certainly needed a custom launcher. So having had that, I definitely am used to having a very personalized screen.

I have been impressed with the various videos I've seen of Touchwiz 3.0. But none have had screens as I would set mine up.

My question is: if a person installs one of the custom UIs does it take away any of the standard UI features? I don't want to cripple or disable that, but enhance the customizability.

Maybe I wouldn't need a custom launcher based on what I said. I'm anxious to get a new phone. If it ever comes available :p

11. borchgrevink

borchgrevink Member

Aftyer installing LP many of my shortcuts, widgets and programs were not visible on my Galaxy S at all. Normal or some setting, and why? Thanks

12. Gibb

Gibb Member

Normal behaviour, if you change to a new home launcher you need to reconfigure the screens (widgets, etc.).

Because each launcher stores its settings in it's own /data/ folder, these settings are not shared between launchers.

13. TheNewNetwork

TheNewNetwork Active Member

Quick question

With a new launcher installed are u still able to use Swype for texting?

14. theredkrawler

theredkrawler Active Member

Uhm, of course.

Swype is a text input, ADW / Launcher Pro are a home screen replacement. They are mutually exclusive in the functions they affect.

hanhav likes this.
  15. krammikk

krammikk Active Member

Touchwiz looks really good,all the other launchers look kinda cheap when compared to it.If you want speed, opt for launcher pro(but i personally like side scrolling of apps)

16. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

I've been using LauncherPro for a few days now.

I find the dock much less intrusive that the TouchWiz one. I do however like the 3D app drawer, which works very nicely.

17. r@nd0m

r@nd0m Member

I am using the ADW launcher and love it! Touchwiz is too iPhone'ish for me and coming from a 3g iPhone I wanted something different, once I knew what the home screen on an android should be like :) Is very fast with ADW Launcher and lots of options to customise, so far no complaints after a week.