• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S Won't auto lock

Okay I'm not finding any answers to this on the forum. It seems everyone has been trying to find a way to turn the auto lock off. Well my Auto lock works when it wants to. If I manually turn off the screen it will lock everytime but if I just set the phone down and allow the screen to time out sometimes it locks sometimes it doesn't. At first it wouldn't auto lock at all. I turned the phone off and back on lost all my battery for some reason but it worked for a while. Now it's more sporatic than anything else. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there something wrong with my phone. Also I've had this phone less than 24hrs. Thanks for any replies.

he's probably talking about the lock pattern
and I never used that so I can't help you here

No not the lock pattern. When you not using your phone it times out and the screen goes off, when you press the power button to bring the screen back the phone requires you to unlock it. You can set it for 15 secs 30 secs ect... When the screen goes off the phone is supposed to lock where you are required to slide or swipe the screen in order to turn the phone back on. This happens also when you manually turn your screen off by pressing the button on the side. When I manually turn my screen off it auto locks and requires me to swipe my screen to unlock it. However, when I just simply place my phone down and allow it to go off by itself sometimes it locks sometimesand sometimes it doesn't. Is that normal? Has anyone else experience this? Like i said in my 1st post this phone isn't even 24hrs old, should I take it back, did I get a lemon or does everyone's phone do this every now and then? Thanks

Upvote 0
Is that normal? Has anyone else experience this? Like i said in my 1st post this phone isn't even 24hrs old, should I take it back, did I get a lemon or does everyone's phone do this every now and then? Thanks

It is not a normal behaviour. However I do not think you got a lemon. Maybe a software glitch.

Personally many people are irritated by the lock screen they get.

Anyways I have noticed that if the screen turns off and you immediately (In 1-2 seconds) press some button to switch it on the "lock screen" doesnt come up. But after that lock screen always comes up.

It would be good to check if some software is conflicting with the android. Does it also lead to abnormal battery drain?

Reactions: blueboykennels
Upvote 0
It is not a normal behaviour. However I do not think you got a lemon. Maybe a software glitch.

Personally many people are irritated by the lock screen they get.

Anyways I have noticed that if the screen turns off and you immediately (In 1-2 seconds) press some button to switch it on the "lock screen" doesnt come up. But after that lock screen always comes up.

It would be good to check if some software is conflicting with the android. Does it also lead to abnormal battery drain?

Thanks. Well the battery was working fine until I powered off my phone (completely power cycled) trying to see if that would fix my auto lock problem. I had over 3/4 of a battery left. When I turned it back on I had and about 1/8 battery remaining.

How would I check for conflicting software? Thanks

Upvote 0
You can go to settings -> About phone -> Battery usage and check if any application is using a high amount of battery!

Also since the phone is not very old I am assuming you might not be having many applications on the phone. In that case it might be a good idea to factory reset the phone and see if the problem is still there. If it is still there it would be good to take it to the service centre. But I am hoping after a factory reset all should be fine.

Reactions: blueboykennels
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones