Galaxy S2 as Desktop Internet ConnectionSupport

1. prflyer

prflyer New Member

Hi everybody, new to forum but there's a lot of help and information on it.

I've searched the forum but haven't found the answer to what I'm looking for.

At home I have broadband cable internet with a wireless router. All my wireless capable devices can connect to the internet (phone, laptops, others) but I have a desktop computer with no wireless capability and can't be connected (because of location) via ethernet cable to router. I would like to provide internet to this computer.

What I would like to do is use my phone (Galaxy S2) to connect wireless to my home broadband internet and connect the phone to this desktop via usb cable to provide internet service not using 3G (Sprint horrible data speed) but the cable broadband service.

Can this be done, what app and/or method do I need.

Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!! VIP Member

What carrier are you on?
  3. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

4. prflyer

prflyer New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Cellular Company "Sprint", Computer OS "Windows XP".

The desktop computer does not have wireless or ethernet connection capability to available home broadband internet service.

I want to connect the Galaxy S2 thru WiFi to home broadband internet (this is possible now) and supply from this connection internet to the desktop computer thru phone usb cable.

Ad-Hoc network connection (if I'm not mistaken) requires that all devices have wireless capability (not possible). Virtual Router Option (again if not mistaken) requires computer to have the internet connection and wireless capability (not possible).

Thanks
  5. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Well-Known Member

Question, why not just buy a $10 USB WiFi adapter?

I'm not sure if Sprint blocks the native tethering options but this is actually doable by default on stock Android. Connected my unlocked Xperia Ray (connected to WiFi) to the PC to copy some files and it was automatically recognized as a new network connection. I do use the Ray to tether to 3G but I was surprised it did the same for WiFi.
  6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

Curious if you found a way to do this? I was also going to suggest a wireless card if you have an available pci slot on your desktop machine. Pretty cheap solution and its always there and functional.
  7. someguyatx

someguyatx Well-Known Member

Another vote for a usb wireless adaptor but you can tether using pdanet and it works with 3 or 4g. I recently used in a hotel with capped bandwidth. Website is junefabrics pdanet or something, google it
  8. iTzKPanda

iTzKPanda AF's resident panda