• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S2 gt-i9100G

I am scared to comply with the dialog box that is coming up from Kies when I connect my Samsung Galaxy S II to my laptop. the dialog box is headed

Firmware upgrade

A new firmware version is available. Upgrade may improve the performance of 'GALAXY S II (GT-19100G)'. Do you want to upgrade?

Current firmware version: PDA:LC1/PHONE:KL4/CS:LA2 (AFR)
Latest firmware version: PDA:LPDY/PHONE:LPV/CSC:LP (AFR)

Are there no dangers of slowing down my lovely S II? I have read of many people complain about phones slowing down after upgrading them. I wanted to keep mine as original as it was designed. However, I am conscience of viruses and other things that I need to protect my phone against. One of the ways to use to protect my machine I suspect it this firmware, if I am right.

Someone help me! Are there any advantages of upgrading according to this warning or instruction?

Welcome to the forum murego11 and thanks for joining.

Personally I would go for the update. Since its an upgrade from gingerbread to ics I would recommend factory resetting your phone after doing the update so make sure you have everything backed up. The majority of the times people have problems after updating its because of conflicting system data between the old and new firmware, so resetting your phone will eliminate this and hopefully you shouldn't have any problems.

If anything you should see an improvement in performance after upgrading to ics but if for any reason you are not happy with the new firmware it is possible to manually downgrade back to your old firmware but we'll cross that path if we need to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones