Galaxy s2 isn't connecting to wifi?Support

1. marisue

marisue New Member

Hi! I bought a new Galaxy s2 t989 a few weeks ago. Everything was fine, but then suddenly the wifi stopped connecting? That is, the wifi "connected" but I couldn't use any apps that allowed wifi connection because of that lack of connection (ex: twitter not signing me in, pandora not working, etc)

So I contacted samsung and they told me I had to do a factory reset, which I did and everything was normal again except I had to re-download some apps. A week later, same thing happens once again. Wifi's there, but not actually connecting.

Can anyone help me find a solution to this? I don't wanna have to keep factory resetting my phone just to get a wifi connection.

Advertisement
  2. alpha0990

alpha0990 Well-Known Member

might b one of the apps is causing it. aft fac reset use slow process of elim to id it
  3. marisue

marisue New Member

How can I tell which app it is? After the factory reset I only stuck with apps I used on my old phone and it still went out.
  4. alpha0990

alpha0990 Well-Known Member

install a few at a time. after a few days if theres no wifi problem, install a few more
  5. Pearlpro

Pearlpro New Member

I seem to have issue with my Phone using the wifi calling, I have it right next to the router on my desk yet the signal seems very low or weak, are there tweaks I can make to get it to find and be a stronger signal, Im at the edge of the reception area and WIFI calling is really necessary for good service, any tricks or tips.
  6. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Wifi fixer from the app store works wonders......I'm just saying.
  7. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

I would suggest wifi analyzer and connect library so you can try force connecting it. Also take your router off channel 11 and try it that way for some reason 11 has had problems with mobile devices before.
  8. Xerses

Xerses Well-Known Member

I don't see how channel 11 can adversely affect mobile devices. The channel is simply a specific frequency in the 2.4GHz range and not device specific regarding connections. The WiFi G standard does not exclude mobile devices.

Also, there is no way of knowing if the OP is even using 2.4GHz, the router they own may be 5GHz as well and they may be on a totally different set of channels (read frequencies).

EDIT: This is not intended as comment bashing, just asking/proposing information. :)

This issue really sounds like an app problem. If a factory reset fixed the issue and the problem reoccurred after installing apps, then the next step to finding the problem app would be to reset again, run the phone bone stock for another week to eliminate or confirm that an app is the problem. If the phone is still on WiFi after 1 week then I would install apps 2 or 3 at a time and run the phone for 1 week until I got to the point where WiFi stopped working. Then to eliminate the correct app I would start over by resetting the phone, but this time install one of the 2 or 3 last apps assumed to cause the issue and run for 1 week at a time.

This would/will be very time consuming, but if you really want to find the problem then this would be a pretty good way.
  9. froubaby

froubaby New Member

I have the same problem with my T-989 when I am at work. I had a T-Mobile rep come in with a handful of other Android phones to test each of them and only 1 phone worked with our wifi network. It's come down to the type of security on the wireless network is causing the phone to constantly look for a connection and only stay connected for seconds before disconnecting and repeating the cycle.

I'm going to try the "wifi fixer" app now as someone suggests above and see if that fixes the connection...
  10. rkkt

rkkt New Member

My phone was able to connect to the wifi but I couldn't access the internet using wifi. I have the Push to Talk app on my phone. I contacted my provider and they didn't help. I called Samsung and they wanted me to send the phone in for repairs. I then contacted a different person at my provider and they helped. Go to settings, wireless and network, mobile networks, access point names, then click on browser, go to 'proxy' and make sure it is blank. * before you blank it, write down the info that is in there incase this doesn't work for you * turn your phone off then back on and presto it works!
    Good luck!
  11. sleedeane

sleedeane Well-Known Member

Whenever I have connectivity or low signal issues I re-boot the router and that seems to fix it for awhile.
    And about the wifi analyzer app, I don't get it. It can show an excellant signal from the router even with no cable going to it. My t-mobile rep showed me that one.
    Speedtest.net (what the cable company uses) is a more accurate depiction of how well the router is behaving.
    When speedtest shows less than 10mbps download (my 10mbps service), but more than 5, I attribute it to heavy traffic.
    If it's less tban 5, I unplug it for about 5 seconds and then plug it back in, which usually solves the problem.
    This happens pretty regularly - about once a week.
    Just my experience with my 2wire.
  12. pter

pter New Member

I had the same problem and vodafone and samsung tech support couldn't help so I got a replacement phone,after a few days the new phone was doing the same thing.I read somewhere you need to increasing the"client lease time" in your router setting.It worked for me.
  13. ChristianLee

ChristianLee New Member

I was having this same problem and i looked all over the internet. I finally found a story of a guy who had this problem and i followed his instructions and fixed the bug. Turn off your Wifi, Turn on your Static Ip (Found under advanced Wifi Options) and fill out all the feilds ( Ip Address, Gateway, Netmask, DSN1 and DSN2) This can be found by going to your 'start' button on the computer, selecting 'Run..', type in 'cmd' and enter, Then type in 'ipconfig/all' and enter. After that turn your wifi back on and you should be set. The guy stated that he was able to turn off his Static IP after and it continued to work, but when i tried it i had to re enter all the Static ip info.
  14. EugeneLouis

EugeneLouis New Member

Hey All, I have the same problem: reboot router and then I can connect and access internet. Need to usually repeat this process every 12hrs. It's a mission because my wifi is situated upstairs.

Any suggestions on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated.

Eugene