• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S2 Pub & Beer Garden

I'm going to number my paragraphs so I don't forget anything, hope it doesn't read all high-and-mighty or anything bad like that - just trying to get it all down in print, so to speak... :) ;)

1. We're not disagreeing with the reasonableness of the argument - we're just trying to find a good solution to a common problem, and apply the rule fairly across the board - nothing personal or judgmental. :)

2. Our forum software won't let a link after the fact (what's over there now) become stickied. Plus - if we were going to sticky the link we could have just left the thread over there, yeah? So, any of that would take some doing, with shuffling back and forth.

3. Rarely is anything set in concrete and not subject to change around here. We're all just members too and wanting it to all work, same as you. :)

4. The best venue for your arguments are in that Suggestion Box thread I linked above - that's what the other mods and admin are paying attention to and using to gauge member preferences and so forth.

5. Mods don't set policy. We simply try to carry it out, as mentioned in the Site Rules, and moderator guidelines as given by Phases The Admin. :) Where there are gray areas, we try to work by mod/member consensus on what's best for everyone, usually a compromise deal.

6. All this came about because not everyone in every forum was able to be cool like you cats. I won't name names, but to give an example, we had one active forum where someone asked about "should I get this or an iPhone?" (a perfectly cromulent question) and that went OT very quick - and spawned no less than 2 or 3 OT threads a day - and a host of complaints from people who couldn't find the actual subjects about the phone.

7. So if some cats can be cool about it and others can't, why don't we just treat you all separately as needed? a) Ok, please see #5, mods don't set policy, and the big one, b) Did you hear the one about the site with over 1.2 million members where one day a lorry-load of members from Phone Forum X complained to the mods that the SGS2 cats were getting special treatment? :eek:

8. It's all about community - the big one called Android as well as all the communities that are separate and together with that, like yours here. We want to preserve and protect that, not over-moderate it out of existence. :eek:

~~~~~~~~

So - let's please chat about here in the Lounge (where we also have a Rooting Club), in the Suggestion Box (where a few of us are trying for a hacking and modding forum to call home), or however you like.

Our doors are always open, you can PM us on this if you'd like to discuss one-on-one. If you'd like your own slot for just you to discuss with the staff, please open a thread in our Private Chat with Staff.

~~~~~~~~

My whole point here is to let you know that your views on this issue do matter and are heard - and that any explanation by us is just that - an answer when asked, not the last word or end of discussion on this topic - and that you have options to escalate your concerns if you think we're doing it wrong. (Which - we have before.) :eek:

Because - we don't have the answer, we're just want to work with you on this. :)

~~~~~~~~

PS - all the best to upcoming new mum and dad! :)

Upvote 0
Hanging in the Lounge has its benefits to you and your compadres and comadres - you get to start to see the bigger picture of AF support in its many forums - and - you may get to meet new friends, who have never owned the SGS2, who may be helpful when the time comes to choose another phone.

That's just a big win for everyone, right there. :)

Since you moved the thread, I think the lack of activity on here from the so-called S2 cats speaks volumes for how how likely it is that the regulars will come and "hang out" here. I barely have time to keep an eye on one forum, and certainly wouldnt come here just for a chat. But I do enjoy a bit of banter with the S2 cats whilst on the all things root forum.

So the only winners here are the rules, and there's no "big win" for us s2 cats, or anyone else that I can see.

Although we're obviously all very well behaved and keep OT chat to the bare minimum (ahem), no doubt the odd OT comment will keep occuring on the original forum, thus cluttering threads and actually making it harder for visitors to find information. the exact problem you are trying to avoid!!

i wholeheartedly support the idea of having some sort of sticky or link or direct access from the all things root page.

surely this would be a perfect compromise

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Since you moved the thread, I think the lack of activity on here from the so-called S2 cats speaks volumes for how how likely it is that the regulars will come and "hang out" here. I barely have time to keep an eye on one forum, and certainly wouldnt come here just for a chat. But I do enjoy a bit of banter with the S2 cats whilst on the all things root forum.

So the only winners here are the rules, and there's no "big win" for us s2 cats, or anyone else that I can see.

Although we're obviously all very well behaved and keep OT chat to the bare minimum (ahem), no doubt the odd OT comment will keep occuring on the original forum, thus cluttering threads and actually making it harder for visitors to find information. the exact problem you are trying to avoid!!

i wholeheartedly support the idea of having some sort of sticky or link or direct access from the all things root page.

surely this would be a perfect compromise

Favourite this page in your browser, along with the S2 banter page? Just a suggestion.

Upvote 0
I for one think the S2 cats should be allowed to have their watering hole thread within their own forum. I have explained why in the Suggestion Box forum thread about this issue. If you disagree, then add to the debate over there.

But if you agree, then weigh in with your opinion over there also. I'm on your side S2 cats! :)

http://androidforums.com/suggestion-box-feedback/651201-pesky-watering-holes-can-they-go.html

I think the point about off-topic banter now going to clutter the thread, making it harder for visitors to find what they need, is very valid. And so is the point about the lack of activity in this thread since its being moved. Make your voices heard and convince Phases to move the watering holes back into their original forums. This place (AF) is the closest I've found to a democracy, in that people listen and make decisions upon what people say and debate, and ultimately choose the best option based on the available knowledge and arguments in an attempt to make everyone happy. The Admin has an open ear (or two).

And let's get the rest of the S2 All Things Root Crew to have their say also. (use the links I provided)

Upvote 0
personally i'm not bothered where this thread ends up but it strikes me that the whole argument here hinges on the fact that the mods do not want to clutter up the various device forums, In this case the gs2, with mindless drivel, making it harder for people, particularly newcomers, to find the information they require.

1. isn't this precisely what the search function was made for?
2. if someone wanted to find out how to root his device for example, why would he even start looking in a thread entitled " galaxy s2 pub and beer garden“

Reactions: dramed and ironass
Upvote 0
Was this the original thread name or was it "Off topic thread?" That's what the month-long link back in your root forum is called, I'm not sure.

It was originally entitled, "Off Topic Thread", so as not to confuse anyone.

Newcomers, especially those new to forums, often go to the wrong device forum or wrong thread, depending on what Mr. Google told them.

That, I'm afraid, will inevitably happen with Mr Google. We, the seasoned forum members, either re-direct or, more commonly, use the, "Report", feature to enable mod's to move them.

Good luck to anyone Googling...

"ironass pedantic", "Hawker, tighter than a gnats chuff", "sntaylor's baby", "Syd's K.o.D.", "All mods are thoroughly decent, compassionate and understanding people". ;)

Upvote 0
Goodness me.

I have read this thread from start to finish. Three times. It's all a bit serious isn't it?

And SG2 off topic thread should be in the SG2 forum.

It involves the people who participate in the SG2 forum so why would the thread be anywhere else?

If word gets around that this thread is the most hip and happening thing on the internet (unlikely with me using language like that) and the coolest cats are to be found swapping fantastical anecdotes of derring do on a regular basis - and people want to be a part of that....

Then they know where to come.

The SG2 off topic thread.

Found, funnily enough, in the SG2 forum. :rolleyes:

And they would be made to feel quite welcome. It's not a clique.

Now, I'm off to the iPhone forum as I hear that's where the Gloucester Cheese Rolling Off Topic crowd hang about these days....

Reactions: dynomot and ironass
Upvote 0
we're just trying to find a good solution to a common problem, and apply the rule fairly across the board

Please note the above (emphasis mine). All other similar threads are located in The Lounge, so this one merely follows accepted precedent.

Favourite this page in your browser, along with the S2 banter page? Just a suggestion.

Better still, make use of the "Favorite Forums" feature and/or subscribe to the thread. Right now I have ten forums a single 'click' away in my Favorites, and another two dozen or so in my "Subscribed" list which show any new activity in my UserCP.

It was originally entitled, "Off Topic Thread", so as not to confuse anyone.

It was renamed when moved for a similar reason, and also to make it obvious.

It involves the people who participate in the SG2 forum so why would the thread be anywhere else?

Because that's where similar threads for participants in the Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus etc forums are located.

Reactions: Sydney99
Upvote 0
Wow this baby really has set things alight eh? :p

That's me finally getting to have a glance at the page for the first time since Sunday night, and I've still no time to get reading other pages, took me long enough to find this one ;-)

Anyway, the info people are after....:

Baby Taylor (Bailey!) Was born at 2.54 pm January 28th via section....both baby and mum doing really well, got home yesterday and as yet we are still chasing our tails, furniture was delivered at 1pm on the same day! Nothing yet built as I stayed in the hospital with a pitiful and poor g signal!

Oh and my little boy, 4 weeks premature, weighed just 5 lb 13 :)

Thanks for there kind words and thoughts :)

On another note, my preference is for each hangout thread to remain in their own forums, but that's for the other topic as linked to :)

See you all in about another week :p

Reactions: Sydney99
Upvote 0
Please note the above (emphasis mine). All other similar threads are located in The Lounge, so this one merely follows accepted precedent.

I don't agree with the policy, but I appreciate the need for slug and his fellow mods to apply the policies and rules of the forum.

I can also understand that you need to be consistent with all members and forums.

Presumably, judging by the lack of mod activity on our s2 threads (apart from slugs helpful posts from time to time), the occasional ot post will continue to be tolerated if it's not excessive. But we can come to the lounge if we're feeling lonely and feel the need for some blatant love from the other cats.

Many congrats sntaylor. Trust the babies head is well wetted

Reactions: sntaylor and davoid
Upvote 0
Congrats on the new addition sntaylor! I know I don't know you nor do I own a GS2, but I am a parent, so sincere congrats!

I would like to take a moment to welcome this, Pub & Beer Garden, thread into the family of OTTs which reside here in The Lounge. I have followed this thread since its inception and wanted to offer up a quick perspective...

...When I visit The Lounge, daily, I have a certain expectation. My expectation is that what I may find inside has no rules (other than those by which we all must abide; read: standard forum policy). I expect things in this section of AF to provide fun and laughter. It is a place I can hang in to catch up with my Nexus Prime buddies. It is a place where we often find an epic Stinky Thread! :D Bottom line, it is a place I can come to kick back...

...As a Member of this site I, too, sometimes tire with asking for/giving help only specific to phones and tablets. I just want to chat with friends. Then I found The Epic Thread (read: Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release Thread). It was a place where we speculated about what would become, in my mind, the most amazing device EVAR! We got to know each other. We got banned! We had each other's back. But most importantly, we cared for each other...

...As a Member of this site, albeit, a Staff Member, I am dedicated to each one of you. I value your opinions and thoughts. And I get that you all are a special group. You've been through everything with each other for about two years and know each other as well as we do over in the Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole. This cannot be overlooked or ignored. I get it...I really do.
But for right now this thread is where "I" expect it to be found. "I" would be confused, as a long time Member and as Staff, to find it in the ATR or General section of the GS2 Forums. And that said, I still get why there is disagreement...

...So until the rules and precedences change, I call to all GS2ers to make this the best OTT EVAR! What is there to lose? Nothing. How much could be gained? If I look at my favorite getaway, EVERYTHING! In there, I see pride in family, connection with friends, a sense of personal responsibility, and citizens of various nations coming together in support of each other. I see humanity at its finest. I see people who care for each other, who may never see the other in person, all regardless of its placement in AF...

...Let me end by saying that I find this place comforting and very seemingly built on a foundation of community and filled with folks who care for one and other. That is what this site is all about! So let's embrace that together!

Have a wonderful evening and great Sunday!

(Go 9ers! :D)

Thank you for your time,

jmar

Reactions: davoid and sntaylor
Upvote 0
I hope my previous post wasn't a downer nor considered some type of Public Service Announcement. It was intended to be an uplifting message to this community and, for the record so you all know, it is against forum policy for a Guide to make a PSA.

My hope is that this drink of water and herbs livens and continues to flourish.

jmar

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones