• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Galaxy S2 Skyrocket USB Drivers

Lurker
Mar 18, 2012
I've been trying for days to get the usb drivers working, so I can eventually root my phone. However, I have had no luck. I apologize for my lack of grammar, but im just going to start listing things that might be relevant to my problem.

I have Windows 7 64 bit
I have a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Plugging the cable into my phone and PC (USB) does nothing except charge.
My phone has "USB debugging" enabled.
My device shows up under "other devices" in device manager, but it says "not working, needs driver update (or something to that effect).
Can't find drivers when it searches.
Downloaded drivers manually, and get the error "Samsung mobile USB composite device" failed to install.
Tried pointing driver update to the folder named "usb_drivers" that was created by downloading something from google via the SDK manager.

I'm lost. Any help?

I figured that not enough people frequent this particular subforum. I also downloaded 2 versions of the samsung drivers, and have the same "samsung mobile usb composite device" failed to install error. These however are only accessible but clicking, from device manager, "update driver", then browse my computer, then show a list of all drivers, then expanding the usb drivers.

Upvote 0
I've been trying for days to get the usb drivers working, so I can eventually root my phone. However, I have had no luck. I apologize for my lack of grammar, but im just going to start listing things that might be relevant to my problem.

I have Windows 7 64 bit
My device shows up under "other devices" in device manager, but it says "not working, needs driver update (or something to that effect).
Downloaded drivers manually, and get the error "Samsung mobile USB composite device" failed to install.
Tried pointing driver update to the folder named "usb_drivers" that was created by downloading something from google via the SDK manager.

I'm lost. Any help?

At the beginning your computer's operating system was seeing the drivers, thus the "already installed" message, but the actual path to that file was not being seen.

Now that you've done a manual attempt, portions of the second package are likely being seen by the system as conflicts.

I'd start over by doing a search for those drivers by name and renaming them with a ".bak" file extension and moving them to a new special folder away from the hierarchy where they normally reside. If kies is installed, uninstall it.

Then a reboot of the computer, and of course the Skyrocket.

If your USB debugging was checked, uncheck it.

Reinstall kies. You may see something like, "PC Suite is needed," just ignore that. The drivers should be installed now (per kies).

Some users have success by going to http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/SGH-T989ZKBTMB and entering your device model for the drivers but I'll bet that is where you found your drivers and had issues.

Upvote 0
Kies never recognized the device- just "please connect a device", or something to that effect.

I have the drivers in a .bak from the Google thing installed by the SDK manager. I dont know if that's the same.

I can't do a search for the drivers, I don't know how. I have search indexing disabled.

Trying to find them manually now.

At the beginning your computer's operating system was seeing the drivers, thus the "already installed" message, but the actual path to that file was not being seen.

Now that you've done a manual attempt, portions of the second package are likely being seen by the system as conflicts.

I'd start over by doing a search for those drivers by name and renaming them with a ".bak" file extension and moving them to a new special folder away from the hierarchy where they normally reside. If kies is installed, uninstall it.

Then a reboot of the computer, and of course the Skyrocket.

If your USB debugging was checked, uncheck it.

Reinstall kies. You may see something like, "PC Suite is needed," just ignore that. The drivers should be installed now (per kies).

Some users have success by going to http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/SGH-T989ZKBTMB and entering your device model for the drivers but I'll bet that is where you found your drivers and had issues.

Upvote 0

I have Windows 7 64 bit

I'm lost. Any help?

Mass Storage

1. Connect your Samsung Galaxy S II to your PC or MAC using the supplied USB cable.

2. A USB icon will appear in the notification area. (IN YOUR PHONE SCREEN)
  3. Pull down the notification bar and touch USB Connected.
  4. You will now see a USB Connected screen. Andy will be green and his left arm will appear as a USB connector.

1. Touch Connect USB Storage.

1. After a few seconds, the message on the screen will change to USB Storage In Use and Andy will turn orange.

1. You should now have Removable Disk prompts on your Windows PC or MAC and can begin transferring content between the device and the computer.
Note: Depending on whether you have a microSD​

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones