Galaxy S3 as a dialup modem?Support

1. ebaylusod

ebaylusod New Member

Hi,
    I have a problem, and Verizon says I can't do it, so here it goes...

PREVIOUSLY, I had a Samsung Reality that I could, with the proper drivers installed (Windows 7 laptop), via USB, use my cell phone as a dial up modem. I need to call into a computer to submit medical bills, and they do NOT allow access via the internet. It MUST be dial up.
    I bought my S3 at the end of Dec (Staples for $45.99 :D ), and haven't been able to get this to work. After several emails to Verizon Wireless, and repeatedly explaining that I DON"T want to use a Mobile Hotspot, and I DON'T want to connect my laptop to the internet via the cell phone, I finally got a response that the S3 can't do this.
    Any workarounds, or are they correct? Any other ideas??
    Stock S3 on Verizon.
    Thanks,
    Gene

Advertisement
  2. ldivinag

ldivinag Well-Known Member

wait. . . what kind of dialup? cause even the most basic dialup still gives you an jnternet / IP based connction.

unless you are directly connecting to their server via a customized dialup program in a PC I don't why a regular internet connection won't do...
  3. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

Cant say i know that answer but i would assume the system your dialing into would need to recognise pulse or tone dialing, obviously turning your phone into a hotspot wouldn't give you that method of dialing/handshake/connection. Maybe search the play store for an app.

It's an interesting point, I might look into this tomorrow.
  4. ebaylusod

ebaylusod New Member

This is just like the old days of dialing into a BBS. Compuserve, AOL, Netzero. All had you dial a local number to access their bulletin board system. This is the type of dial up connection that I am talking about. My 5 year old previous NON- Android Samsung phone did this with ease.
  5. XplosiV

6. ebaylusod

ebaylusod New Member

I'll give this a try tonight! Thanks for all the help!!!

Gene
  7. XplosiV

Good luck with it chap :)
  8. immanuel__7

immanuel__7 New Member

any luck with this? id like to use my cell as dialup as well only i need to call certain modems in stores to i can look at refrigeration info on some controlers. and id like to be able to do this on the road. instead of a lanline