• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S3 Camera - Upside Down?

tonyharlan

Aug 20, 2010
Anyone had issues with the camera? Every picture I take, the actual display is upside down, making me flip my camera over to take pictures, and then they all come out upside down as well. Wiped my phone three times, no fix. Same thing using Instagram as well.

I'm also having the same issue. I'm reviewing photos I took from a hiking trip over the weekend and 80% of them are upside-down, and the rest are correctly rotated. I've been having to copy them to my desktop and rotate them all before filing them into my photo manager.

Maybe I just need to hold the phone the opposite direction and see if that fixes it. You would think it'd be smart enough to figure out orientation from either direction.

Upvote 0
Are all the pictures taken in landscape?

I believe its supposed to be speaker to the left, home button to the right - although I'd have to check and can't at the moment.

Yep. Camera in the left hand, home button in the right. A couple of other things are:
1. You may want to calibrate the orientation/gyroscope sensors. See: Menu > Settings > Display > Gyroscope calibration.
2. Is there something set in: Menu > Settings > Motion that may be interfering?

Reactions: tekchic
Upvote 0

I believe its supposed to be speaker to the left, home button to the right - although I'd have to check and can't at the moment.

Something to test?

I'm taking all the pics in landscape, but I believe I've been keeping the home button to the left, so I'll flip it to the right and check.

Gyroscope was calibrated already (did a second calibration just now) and only motion activated is the "Tap to Top" setting, everything else is turned off.

Update: Snapped a few pics and that's definitely what causes the upside-down images. Looks like making sure the home button is on the right when I shoot is the fix. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Something to test?

Yep. Camera in the left hand, home button in the right. A couple of other things are:
1. You may want to calibrate the orientation/gyroscope sensors. See: Menu > Settings > Display > Gyroscope calibration.
2. Is there something set in: Menu > Settings > Motion that may be interfering?

I just ran into this issue on my g/f's S3 (I have an S3 also), because halfway through a party she kept hitting the volume keys by accident with her left hand the way she was holding it, so she flipped the phone over. All of the pictures and video taken from that point on are upside down when we transferred them to a PC, even though in Gallery on the phone all of them look right-side up no matter which way the camera had been held for that shot.

But this is ridiculous. This "smart" phone should be smart enough to save the picture's top left (0,0) pixel to match whatever the current orientation of the phone is, or there should be an option to toggle this behavior on/off. (Calibrating the gyroscope does not affect this btw.)

The very fact that the display itself flips over when you turn the phone home-key-left, along with every other icon you see on the screen, implies that you can hold it whichever way is comfortable for you. I don't recall having this problem on my old Moto Droid X or on my g/f's old Droid 2 Global. Grrrrr.

Upvote 0
Seeing as how Android is open... don't you think it will super easy to download/install a ridiculous amount of games to your phone? Think about how many simple flash games are out there.

Will android users immediately have a huge pool of mobile games to choose from or do these developers have to design games specifically for Android?

Its just based in digital cameras. They're all the same. One way for landscape one way for portrait and no more.

The flash on the s3 is positioned proportionately for portrait and landscape one way only.

Yes you'd think innovation would forget the ergonomic constraints of a camera to lend itself more to a device that is geometrically similar on both edges but they didn't.

Upvote 0
The camera problems I am having is that all my pictures are cloudy looking and any light in the room causes great issues!! I have tried every resolution and still the same issues. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Try cleaning the camera lens. Whenever my pics have been like this it's because of a smear of fingerprint grease on the lens.

Upvote 0
I've never had this problem because for me it's always been instinctive to have the shutter button on the right hand side, as in all dedicated physical cameras, so I always trigger a shot with my right hand.

I think it would be a good feature to have a toggle setting so images can 'right' themselves if the phone is flipped over, but otherwise shoot as is; however I don't think it's 'ridiculous' to produce upside down pictures or videos when the camera is upside down, as this might well be my artistic intention.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones