• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S3 - Exchange Sync - NONSTOP - Poor Battery - Overheating

SuMeRiaNs

Lurker
Jan 22, 2013
Good morning, I am trying to help a friend install Exchange on his Galaxy S3 from Verizon. We are using the device right out of the box, no additional APPS. We have checked about / settings and the S3 is up to date. After adding the exchange account everything seems to function normally. HOWEVER after a little use the SYNC seems to fall off all while continuously trying to pull data. On our first S3 it actually overheated and my colleague was mailed another phone. We are having the same result with the replacement. We have tried to removing and re-adding the account and it appears to function normally for a short time before its back to syncing non stop. My colleague says its always spinning/loading even if there is no mail in the box. I have this exchange account functioning normally in OWA, Outlook, and even on 2 other prehistoric mobile devices.

We are talking about a battery life of maybe an HR.

I have found other folks with similar issues on JB but no fixes seem to be available. In fact many people are being directed to download and in some cases buy 3rd party APPS to handle exchange. The prior sounds crazy to me the device should handle this out of the box.

I have only a little experience with this device and am curious how something like this works. Does GOOGLE provide 100% of the APP I am trying to use OR is Samsung licensing this from Google and adding their own code potentially specific for this device or carrier?

Here are a few threads I found with other JB users having similar issues.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=37437

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39728

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them, thanks in advance for your help.

Go to Settings > Application manager > swipe to All tab > scroll to Exchange services > click Clear Data

Having the same problem as the OP. I tried deleting Exchange account, clearing data, then re-installing but to no avail. Still have Exchange killing my battery.

The curious thing: we just switched over from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 a few days ago. On 2007, there was zero issue with battery drain. Now that we switched over, it's getting killed. Both 2007 and 2010 Exchange had Activesync activated.

Does anyone have a solution? I'm rooted, so I guess I could try a custom ROM if someone has figured out the solution.

Upvote 0
I had a similar problem on my S3. We had a domain change in our organization recently and had to reconfigure our devices. Post that the battery drain was high and most of it was consumed by exchange services. After some research, this solution worked for me:
My device uses outlook webmail address. If you have a similar setup - go to outlook webmail on your browser (preferably on a laptop or desktop). Go to options - all options.
There should be a link for

Upvote 0
I am convinced it is the 4.3 update that's causing this. My brother has an S3 on a different carrier and he has the same issue.

It's almost as if the phone doesn't know when it's done charging or something... I just now had a green light indicating fully charged battery, as soon as I unplugged it, 63%. Plugged it back in and it is charging again.

Here is a long thread on it, maybe see if this describes your issue: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/834443-s3-loses-75-power-in-35-minutes.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones