• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S3 flickering and battery death.

You know what? I just read my original post and I was wrong.
It doesn't reboot, i meant that I have to yank the battery to get it powered up again. But one time it did go in to a reboot loop. I had to factory reset it at this point.
Sorry, wasn't thinking straight. Will change original post if possible.

Usually the battery is about 35-40%.

Mine is doing exactly the same at 35-40% battery hmm so strange how exact it is and how many people are having this trouble (bloody samsung!). I took mine to a phone repairs shop they told me it was the battery and I just needed to get a new one (google feeds also told me this) but unless they sold me a dodgy battery then the battery is not the issue because I'm having the same exact problem with the new battery is as I did with the 'faulty' one.

Upvote 0
I've got the same problem. Carphone Warehouse apparently changed the battery for a new one then 'fixed the power board'. I'm now on battery #3 and still have the same problem. Discharging in under half a day, chimes in at 20% saying battery low, by 19% it's frozen, screen flickering, network gone, death. Plug it in, the green indicator shows about 50% battery. Unplug it from 100% charged and it's instantly at 97%. WTF...My phone is a lemon I think. Anyone else got a suggestion that ISN'T battery?

Mines exactly the same so unless theres lots of dodgy people out there selling lots of dodgy batteries it's not the battery it's the device itself or something that keeps causing damage to each battery!

Upvote 0
I have been having exactly the same issue with mine for the last 2 or 3 weeks, except that it can flicker and die at any moment - the battery charge doesn't have to be particularly low. It just did it an hour ago when the charge was 87%.

I seem to remember that it first started doing it when I had a Bridge application open.

Could the problem be down to a virus? I seem to remember reading somewhere that another application (for a flashlight) was responsible for a virus.

Given the hit and miss success rate of changing the battery, I think the best solution might be to get another phone!

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem. Started happening one week ago.

Without checking any forums I bought a new battery because I thought that was the problem.
It didn't solve it.

When my phone gets between 15% and 40% of battery the screen has a chance to flicker. I can only turn on my phone after 5 minutes or so. Even if I let him recharge, it only starts to recharge some minutes later.

Upvote 0
Seems like theres been some bug in the last upgrade according to various sites.
I get all the same symptoms but currently cure it as follows.
use direct internet only if connected to a power source.
if on battery only use wifi access.
this cures it until someone comes up with an upgrade/bugfix.
Nothing wrong with the battery life if used this way...lasts its normal length but limits internet phone use to a "tethered state".
Try it and report it. Someones making a battery sale killing over this bug..
strangely enough my S4 has none of the symptoms and is exactly the same age use etc...

Upvote 0
Hello
I had the same problem with my s3 aswell but i have resolved it! there is a fault in the battery if you take your battery and have a look it will look larger than normal. Thats becouse it has swelled. And for some of you if the screen flickers, Its the screen i went in and they fixed it in under 3 days. They told me it was your battery (Already knew that) and my screen.

Hope i helped

Upvote 0
Hi all,

So I've been having all the above issues for almost A YEAR now. I've had new batteries (3 of 'em), all original. Every time, it starts out well, but then the charge will drop when you pull the charger out, then the charge that's left will only last a couple hours and it does the flickering and death thing at around 20%, and only restarts once I plug the charger in. I do not have an excess of apps, nor am I on my phone constantly, I've tried setting it to default settings, no change. I've tried other chargers, no improvement, and I don't think it's the actual battery. I'm thinking some internal hardware short? Is there ANYONE that can give me some information 'cause at this point I'm seriously doubting whether there's actually any kind of fix. Thanks:thinking:

Upvote 0
Hi there,
I was wondering if someone could offer some advice regarding an issue I am having.
My S3 has developed a problem which is that the screen will flicker (Menu and return light too, like a loose connection), it freezes, and I have to yank the battery to get it powered again and then the battery is drained.
I've had the phone about a year and 2 months (And I stopped paying insurance on it 2 months ago, stupid I know!) and I haven't had any real issues before now (other than the battery life was shorter for the last few months).

I did the whole Home/vol up/power thingy (Technical talk right there) and cleared the cache. Didn't work.
I tried factory reset and, for a while, I figured I'd solved it.
But then, while putting all the redownloaded apps into folders it happened again.

I have noticed that it doesn't happen if it is plugged in to the charger. Only when running off of battery only.

Could this be merely a dodgy battery issue or am I looking at a phone in dire need of repair?

I have tried to include all information and hope someone can offer me some advice other than the 'Yahoo answers wisdom' of, "Buy a new one".

Thanks in advance for reading this!
Same problem here bro.

Upvote 0
Hi , I have Samsung s3 SGH_T999L.
I hard reset my mobile after the reset my mobile have battery draining problem now, it usually shows 30% battery but downward 30% it power off suddenly, when I plug in charge it restarts and shows 0% battery. I changed the battery and buy the new one for it ,but it doesn't work well still have same problem of battery draining,
If someone has any suggestion for my problem please let me know. .

Upvote 0
I have had the same experience in the past month. I don't have a resolution, but I am curious whether anyone here knows whether their phone began acting up after it was exposed to excess heat.
I had placed my Galaxy S3 in a waterproof pouch for kayaking. I secured the lanyard to the rope on the decking and rested the phone on the deck. The phone was quite hot when I picked it up.

I tried taking a picture while at about 40% battery power and the phone shut down immediately. I now have the issue in which the phone shuts down whenever the battery power gets down to 37%, or when I am using an app that requires more battery power.

My assumption is the heat fried a circuit somewhere. I have tried a brand-new Samsung brand battery and still have the shutdown issue @ 37%.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones