• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S3 Lollipop?

I guess that it is either towelroot or the old way- Odin and all that. You will be very hesitant about this stuff- I was. Madbat had dark hair when he started helping me, it was white by the time I eventually got a new rom on the phone, lol.
One thing I rarely see mentioned is to back up EFS - your IMEI number file. I think it was backed up as a matter of course with Twrp - just make sure.

Upvote 0
towelroot is not in the playstore. google it. Its geohot or towelroot.com. If its not there i have it somewhere.
And gregg1100 did just fine. i only got 1 grey hair from it, and I named it after him. lol.
get twrp recovery here http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/104 (tar file only) then use odin to install it. use directions from any s3 thread for rooting in this forum to learn to use odin. you can also get supersu zip from any of them and install that with twrp. poof rooted.

Last edited:
Reactions: androidlover9
Upvote 0
For some reason my computer says it's a Trojan :/

Mcafee didn't allow it...
You download it on your phone not your PC. Its an app. Its not a Trojan, it uses an exploit (hack) to gain root. Just like all root exploits. Thousands of people use it to root their phones. It will root any phone with a kernel made before like June of this year. So if you haven't had an update since then it will work. Or just do it manually with Odin. Use Odin to install Twrp, use Twrp to install supersu, done. Follow the same instructions as all other s3's on this site. You can follow the one in the virgin mobile rooting for noobs. Just use the Twrp tar I linked earlier instead of philz. But same Odin and same SuperSU. Either method. Both are fine and easy.
here is the thread. Just skip down to where it says Root mk5. And don't use that philz file, use the Twrp one I linked before. Everything else is exactly the same. And don't worry about it says mk5, or about Knox, or it says 4.3. It works. Its how you root all s3's (except Verizon)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You download it on your phone not your PC. Its an app. Its not a Trojan, it uses an exploit (hack) to gain root. Just like all root exploits. Thousands of people use it to root their phones. It will root any phone with a kernel made before like June of this year. So if you haven't had an update since then it will work. Or just do it manually with Odin. Use Odin to install Twrp, use Twrp to install supersu, done. Follow the same instructions as all other s3's on this site. You can follow the one in the virgin mobile rooting for noobs. Just use the Twrp tar I linked earlier instead of philz. But same Odin and same SuperSU. Either method. Both are fine and easy.
here is the thread. Just skip down to where it says Root mk5. And don't use that philz file, use the Twrp one I linked before. Everything else is exactly the same. And don't worry about it says mk5, or about Knox, or it says 4.3. It works. Its how you root all s3's (except Verizon)

I got an update on my phone about a week ago though.... dang.... X(

Also, I feel so stupid for not thinking of downloading it through my phone :|

And can't I just use clockwork mod recovery instead?

Upvote 0
twrp is better. But yes you can. Just make sure you get the right one. also twrp installs su binaries automatically the first time you use it. If you would have just taken my advice you would have rooted already, twice. lol. I'm going to tag out on this one. I'm going to bed. Good luck.!

I already have a clockwork mod recovery installed on my laptop ready to go, it's for the AT & T varient though, and I didn't know towelroot was a recovery as well, I thought it was just an app that rooted your phone...

Upvote 0
I already have a clockwork mod recovery installed on my laptop ready to go, it's for the AT & T varient though, and I didn't know towelroot was a recovery as well, I thought it was just an app that rooted your phone...
Towelroot is not recovery. TWRP is recovery. Team Win Recovery Project. Once you install a recovery with Odin and root by installing SuperSU, you can install any recovery image with the app flashify. Its simple, just get any recovery image, open flashify and choose install recovery. Once rooted, you can do or change anything. Roms, recovery, kernels, anything.

Upvote 0
Towelroot is not recovery. TWRP is recovery. Team Win Recovery Project. Once you install a recovery with Odin and root by installing SuperSU, you can install any recovery image with the app flashify. Its simple, just get any recovery image, open flashify and choose install recovery. Once rooted, you can do or change anything. Roms, recovery, kernels, anything.

I tried going to the towelroot link on my phone, all it did was open a new tab every second for no reason, I eventually stopped it by disconnecting from the wifi when it went to like 54 tabs and had to swipe them all away...

Also, my kernel says november 21st so idk if it has to do with how recent it is...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All this just indicates to me that some people should just make do with a working phone lol :D

Also if memory serves me right androidlover9's phone was actually rooted once and it was a VERY long hard slog to get it unrooted and back to stock!

Of course it's your phone, do with it as you will but a lot of reading needs to go into this, otherwise if things don't work out you will be stuck, again.

Reactions: Madbat
Upvote 0
All this just indicates to me that some people should just make do with a working phone lol :D

Also if memory serves me right androidlover9's phone was actually rooted once and it was a VERY long hard slog to get it unrooted and back to stock!

Of course it's your phone, do with it as you will but a lot of reading needs to go into this, otherwise if things don't work out you will be stuck, again.

Well I tried likewise S5 rom and well...

http://androidforums.com/threads/managed-to-get-myself-in-bit-of-a-pickle.891505/#post-6834928

I got all my data and stuff back to normal with the stock rom, but I can't unroot it and get rid of clock work mod.

Yeah back then I was freaking out with what I should do o_O now it's a lot easier now that I know that odin and sammobile exist :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones