• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S3 problems with email sync

I have always used the Samsung supplied email program to scan my three email addresses. In the past it has always given the notification when an email comes in, but has simply stopped doing so (since the last OS update?).

In email settings/sync settings/sync email it says "Master sync has been disabled" with the Sync Email box ticked. If I untick the box it says "Sync disabled". The sync schedule is set to every 5 mins with the Peak schedule unticked.

If I go into system Settings/Accounts/Email it says "Sync disabled" on each of the three accounts. If I select any one of the three email accounts it only gives me the option to "Tap to sync now".

All of the accounts have Email notifications ticked, but none seem to do so - except when I manually execute the sync button.

How do I get the S3 to automatically download/sync emails and play the appropriate notification sound again - like it used to?

I have always used the Samsung supplied email program to scan my three email addresses. In the past it has always given the notification when an email comes in, but has simply stopped doing so (since the last OS update?).

In email settings/sync settings/sync email it says "Master sync has been disabled" with the Sync Email box ticked. If I untick the box it says "Sync disabled". The sync schedule is set to every 5 mins with the Peak schedule unticked.

If I go into system Settings/Accounts/Email it says "Sync disabled" on each of the three accounts. If I select any one of the three email accounts it only gives me the option to "Tap to sync now".

All of the accounts have Email notifications ticked, but none seem to do so - except when I manually execute the sync button.

How do I get the S3 to automatically download/sync emails and play the appropriate notification sound again - like it used to?

I was having the exact same issue....finally got tired of it....and yesterday, I REMOVED the affected mail account....then added it back in. It was a hassle to go through all the settings setup again....but as I expected, it's working just fine now. Hope that helps you.

Upvote 0
Interesting! Both above comments have made me realise that Gmail and other programs such as BeyondPod that used to poll/scan/sync periodically are also no long doing so and therefore I get no notifications. What system-wide parameter disables sync?
In your settings/accounts there should be a list of accounts. Tap one, then on the next screen tap it again. Then make sure boxes are checked. Also look in your quick settings (top ribbon in pulldown menu) and make sure sync is lit up.

Upvote 0
Funnily enough, I had just discovered the Sync settings myself an hour ago. On my S3, if I pull down from the top ribbon it shows a number of parameters starting with WiFi, GPS, Sound........ and ending with MultiWindow, Screen Mirroring (the later series being unlit). There was no mention of Sync, but I noticed that there was a new (to me) icon at the top right of the screen which displayed many more parameters, one of which was Sync which was unlit. Selecting it seems to have solved the problem. Another unlit icon is Smart stay - what is this?

Upvote 0
Funnily enough, I had just discovered the Sync settings myself an hour ago. On my S3, if I pull down from the top ribbon it shows a number of parameters starting with WiFi, GPS, Sound........ and ending with MultiWindow, Screen Mirroring (the later series being unlit). There was no mention of Sync, but I noticed that there was a new (to me) icon at the top right of the screen which displayed many more parameters, one of which was Sync which was unlit. Selecting it seems to have solved the problem. Another unlit icon is Smart stay - what is this?
Smart stay has a definition in your settings. Settings/device/motion. There are many settings in there. But smart stay will keep your screen on as long as you are looking at it.
Also you can edit which of the settings appear in you pulldown ribbon. By tapping the edit button. But as you saw tapping the "switch" button shows all quick settings.
You can also scroll the ribbon by touching and dragging to the left.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones