1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Galaxy s3 - slow and laggy responseSupport

1. jumbos

jumbos New Member

Hi,
    Is it my phone or are some of you having a slow, lagging response from your phone?
    When I hit a contact number to call there are times I literally wait 5 or more seconds for the phone to start dialing.
    The same happens when I launch apps like my calender or press widgets like Alarm or Assistive light.
    I use constantly the task manager to close all task and the Clear Memory button to free RAM space.
    Do you have any suggestions?

Advertisement
    :
  2. snilloconator

snilloconator Well-Known Member

I had this as well when I first got my phone. But I had to do a restore and have not since experienced it. Not saying this is a fix but you may want to consider a factory restore.
  3. jumbos

jumbos New Member

Thanks. But I hope there are other suggestions except factory restore..
  4. streetkilln

streetkilln Well-Known Member

its ether do a factory reset/restore or go get it looked at from where u bought it. if you have warranty they should give u a new one.

back up your stuff before factory reset. factory reset usually helps with little issues or minor glitches
  5. jumbos

jumbos New Member

Hey guys!
    I found what caused my problem of the slow response.
    It was the app: Shake To Lock Screen
    I uninstalled it and my phone responds now normally to everything.
    Don't know what's up with this app, but don't care anymore. :)
  6. zenzinin

zenzinin New Member

This response is a few months too late, but I'm glad you found what was making your phone lag. I'm having some problems with my new S3 phone's lagging problem as well now. I don't know what it is. I haven't downloaded anything but Handcent SMS and about 4 simple 20MB games, which I don't even play... I haven't touched much of the widgets, or system settings, so I know I didn't mess anything up. If anything, I've only turned off or uninstalled all memory and speed intensive programs which is never used. Now, I've even done a factory restore.

This reply isn't really about asking for a fix, but rather just to vent. After living through iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S, I really wanted to give android a try. S3 was the best option, as everyone gives such positive reviews. *sighs* I'm trying hard to stick by the S3, but I really miss my iPhone4S... Even when I click the home button to wake up the screen, it takes almost a whole second. It doesn't sound like much, but coming from the iPhone 4S that doesn't even take a 10th of a second to wake the screen, this S3 seems to take forever. :(
  7. nailzer

nailzer Well-Known Member

Unlock your phone and press and hold the home key and see if there are any programs running the background. If there are press Remove All and see if that helps.
  8. Ez Duzit

Ez Duzit Active Member

Welcome to the forums. Common problem you described. And believe it or not, it's actually a feature of the phone.

The lag when you press the home button is caused by S-voice.
    One of its features is that it can be activated by double tapping the home button. So if you press HOME it waits to see if you will press it again. The bad news is that S-voice needs more developement. The good news is that making the lag go away is an easy fix.

Open S-voice and tap the soft menu key (left side of home button).
    Then tap the settings button that pops up.
    Uncheck the "Open via the home key" option.
    Now press the home button. Done.
    Enjoy speedy phone. :)
  9. nickjugo

nickjugo New Member

Hey, im having similar issues with my S3. Ive had mine since september and ive loved it. Since the JB update my phone has been pretty laggy. normally when im typing out a text message it is very quick and responds well to fast typing. recently its been very laggy when im texting, trying to keep up. this is not normal what so ever. i turned off svoice and always clear my apps. kinda strange considering it is normally lightning fast
  10. brilor04

brilor04 Well-Known Member

I'm having the same issue and am looking for a resolve. I did the factory data reset via volume rocker, power button, home button (not the security > reset phone way) and I still find the issue. I'll open a text and go to type and it just lags and lags. I'm constantly having to fix misspelled text messages because i'll type something but the phone only picks up certain letters and words :/

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? NEVER did this with ICS. However the more and more I think about this, anytime I've bought an Android device from Verizon on contract, it worked fine. Then there would be a software update...and the phone would slow down on me. It's done that for me on the HTC Thunderbolt, the Droid Razr MAXX, and now the S3. What gives?

brilor04
  11. hmcgillin

hmcgillin New Member

I am definitely having trouble since the JB update was pushed through by Verizon a few weeks ago. Slow and laggy, sometimes screen freezes forever when opening mail, using phone, ending a call on phone. Screen goes black sometimes.
    Customer support at Verizon suggested it was a conflict with one of the apps I've downloaded. Said to uninstall one or two for a day or two and see if there's an improvement. Which I tried, and seemed to see an improvement, only to find the problem back again?
    Any help out there? Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this, but it does make me want to throw the phone against the wall sometimes. Never had this problem with ICS.
  12. mickleback

mickleback New Member

I had the same problem with my SGS3.Did the s-voice thing and now it's back to full speed.
  13. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Well-Known Member

Yep I'm in this boat! I just sent Swiftkey an email about this. Whether it's their app or not maybe they will have some insight as to what the heck is going on. I thought JB was suppose to have project butter in it to make the phone buttery smooth. I think it should be called project molasses. JB SUCKS IMO!!!! I want ICS back!
  14. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

project molasses lol