• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S3 sync with MS Outlook????

I know it will sound crazy but the best option I've found is icloud.

The icloud app syncs with outlook with no issues.
I use CardDAV-Sync to sync contacts from icloud to the phone.
I use CalDAV-Sync to sync calendar and tasks from iclod to the phone.

The only real issue then is that items in Outlook must be in the icloud folder to sync. That's easy enough for contacts but for calendar it's a bit of a pain since things like meeting invitations get created in the calendar for your mail account and you would then have to manually move them.

Then I found CodeTwo Sync for icloud. This app will sync any calendar/contact/task folder in outlook with the icloud folder in outlook. With this I can keep all my data in the folders where I want it and it can still sync with icloud and then my phone.

Granted, there are a few steps but it all works VERY well and seamlessly.

Upvote 0
I don't know if my setup is different (Verizon US Galaxy S3), but when I created my MS Exchange ActiveSync (aka Outlook) account on my phone, I had checkboxes in the setup to select whether to sync my calendar, contacts, email or tasks. I just checked these and everything has synced since day 1. You can find the sync options by going to Settings>Accounts and sync, then just tap on the account set up for Outlook (mine's labelled "Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync" under the account name). Do others not have these options??

Upvote 0
I don't know if my setup is different (Verizon US Galaxy S3), but when I created my MS Exchange ActiveSync (aka Outlook) account on my phone, I had checkboxes in the setup to select whether to sync my calendar, contacts, email or tasks. I just checked these and everything has synced since day 1. You can find the sync options by going to Settings>Accounts and sync, then just tap on the account set up for Outlook (mine's labelled "Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync" under the account name). Do others not have these options??

I have that too and it works fine for my work email. However I have other mail accounts other than just my work one and I like to keep my work and personal stuff separate.

Upvote 0
I do not sync my contacts nor my calendar items from Outlook to my phone nor vice versa. I am presently using a Blackberry 9800 and looking at changing to a Galaxy S3. What the family normally does is to create a contact or to create a calendar item AND THEN SEND IT VIA EMAIL in internet format to all of the computers that we want to have it. So, for instance, I will make a contact listing for a new doctor and then send it to my wife's laptop, her cellphone, my laptop, my cellphone, my daughter's laptop and he cellphone and to my son's laptop and to his cellphone. We have a group set up that includes all of these email addresses and when we plop the group into the Blackberry appointment, it sends the appointment to everyone instantly. Ditto contacts.

Upvote 0
I also had trouble syncing my S3 with Outlook using Kies. I found the problem was actually in Outlook where I had managed to create two Calendars (probably created the second when I batched in old data from my old computer). When in the Outlook Calendar on the left there was a small word 'Calendar' it also had a small + symbol that I didn't notice at first but when pressed it revealed two sub folders both unhelpfully called 'Calendar'. Kies would run the sync operation but I couldn't get the visible Outlook calendar to agree with the S3. Once I deleted this extra Outlook Clendar folder Kies worked fine. After blaming Kies then the phone it turned out to be my setup of Outlook but there was no obvious sign of the problem. Good luck finding your solution.

Upvote 0
www.andriod-sync.com

I bought this software right on the website and it works great. You do have to buy it($29.99 usd) to be able to sync more than 20 contacts, FYI.

I was about to sync everything in Outlook 2010 with just a USB connection. Just upgraded from Blackberry and this software is very similar to Desktop Manager. After a quick setup, only took about 2 minutes to sync over 600 contacts, calender, tasks and notes.

Again, hope this helps. I am not a tech guy and this software is super simple even for me.

JK

Reactions: Dwill59341
Upvote 0
Thanks to JK for the tip on going to the android-snc link. (FYI JK misspelled the link) The program works just like the Blackberry Desktop Software. I downloaded it and installed it in a couple minutes. I ran my first sync (the trial version only syncs 20 items) and it worked fine. I upgraded to the full version for $29.95 and synced calendar, contacts, etc. with no work. I'm not a technical person, so I've spent a lot of today trying to figure out how to do some the of the earlier suggestions in this post and were not able to do it. This was very easy.

Upvote 0
When I got my Galaxy S3 in July, it took a bit of doing but Kies USB allowed me to sync with Office Outlook. This worked for about six weeks. Then one day it reported that my device is not supported by Kies 2.0! And that's what Samsung offers to sync with Outlook!
That make a major aspect of my phone USELESS! It feels like they stole something from me!

Upvote 0
I also have Samsung Galaxy S3 and always had problems with Kies. Searching for alternatives tried many apps and finally stopped by a software called TopSync from Asbyte. They have different clients for Outlook and Android. And it's Google and Exchange free, what was important for me too. :) It syncs everything I need (Contacts and Appointments) automatically over the Internet. It syncs photos in contacts too. That's nice. :) But it's not free. They have a free version to sync 20 items. Just bought it because it really works. The Support was also great. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Use Google calendar sync on your computer to sync it with the Google servers. The servers will then automatically sync with your phone.

I am truly grateful for Google providing this service but would really rather sync directly via Bluetooth, WiFi, USB or any other DIRECT means as my databases (including calendars, contact lists, task lists, etc., all have sensitive information in them that I do not want in 'the cloud'). I could pseudo-sync by simply sending contact and calendar information as an attachment to my home computer, office computer, etc., as the liklihood of the information being intercepted and decrypted is low enough for me. BUT, (Hello Samsung guys!!!!!!!!) I find it incredulous that Samsung does not have a product like Blackberry Desktop for syncing.... or an even better product to do the same.

I would suggest that there are a plethora of potential customers out there that are in the same boat as I am. I have just spent several hundred dollars for a top of the line Samsung phone and I am having thoughts of trashing it and going with the new Blackberry when it comes out (and my current Blackberry in the meantime).

I don't play games and don't need all the cutsie stuff on the Note II. It is a business tool. I went with the Note II because its larger screen makes reading info manuals easier).

Reactions: bill94920
Upvote 0
Agree that the cloud isn't something I'm comfortable with very sensitive info. And I want to be able to get things sync'd up whether my internet connection is working or not.

Maybe I got lucky, but I'm using KIES via USB syncing with outlook 2010 and am getting my calendar, todo's and contacts perfectly. It took a few tries until KIES would see the USB connection, but a few resets of the phone and computer got them talking. And now, takes maybe a minute to get things sync'd up before I leave the office for the day. May trie KIES air next, but happy with the setup for now, and relieved it's working.

Mark

I am truly grateful for Google providing this service but would really rather sync directly via Bluetooth, WiFi, USB or any other DIRECT means as my databases (including calendars, contact lists, task lists, etc., all have sensitive information in them that I do not want in 'the cloud'). I could pseudo-sync by simply sending contact and calendar information as an attachment to my home computer, office computer, etc., as the liklihood of the information being intercepted and decrypted is low enough for me. BUT, (Hello Samsung guys!!!!!!!!) I find it incredulous that Samsung does not have a product like Blackberry Desktop for syncing.... or an even better product to do the same.

I would suggest that there are a plethora of potential customers out there that are in the same boat as I am. I have just spent several hundred dollars for a top of the line Samsung phone and I am having thoughts of trashing it and going with the new Blackberry when it comes out (and my current Blackberry in the meantime).

I don't play games and don't need all the cutsie stuff on the Note II. It is a business tool. I went with the Note II because its larger screen makes reading info manuals easier).

Upvote 0
After quite a lot of reading on this forums and googling other places, I found my way through the mire. It's all fairly easy when you know how of course, but I thought I'd add a few notes here to help others who may be as confused as I was.

I have a new Galaxy S3 bought in Australia (GT-19305). I don't know how different this is from anyone else's.

First I found my way to the Samsung support site to download the user manual (which I haven't looked at yet!) and the Kies software, here: GT-I9305 - DOWNLOADS | Support Samsung

I ran into some difficulties as it seemed to take forever downloading, getting stuck on repetitive "Hotfix" loops, etc., but after a bit more googling I found that unplugging my phone (and then plugging it in later) seemed to make a difference. It was nevertheless a very slow download and when it eventually completed, it told me that there were some more updates to download, which I did.

(Btw I also along the way got some advice about needing the latest version of Java and Dotnet.)

Finally I got the Kies application up and running, the phone plugged in to the computer and recognised by Kies, but at that stage my fuzzy brain and bleary eyes didn't spot the "Sync" tab at the top until after resorting to the Kies help, via the table of contents.

Once I clicked on the Sync button it was all fairly straightforward. In my case I only wanted to sync the Calendar, not Contacts (which was the default selection I think), and once you click in the selection it shows you more options about which "Schedules" you want to sync and it also allows date selection (just in case you have no need for your last 5 years of appointments to be copied into your phone).

I hope this helps someone reduce the amount of time I took to get through this process! :)

Music will have to wait for another day... But it looks fairly straightforward too.

Just one question on a related topic, if anyone knows the answer. In the process of my footling around with all of this, I managed to create a second calendar on my phone (which I called Outlook). As the calendar seems to have synced into "My calendar", I have unticked my extra one but I can't see a way to delete it, even when I go in to edit it. :thinking:

p.s. I found another thread "We can now sync Outlook and Android without a 3rd party app... etc." but a lot of this seemed to be about setting up a Hotmail account and I couldn't easily extract the info I needed. My Outlook already has 3 email accounts connected to it, none of which is Hotmail or Gmail. I only use Gmail for junk mail and have never used its calendar or contacts as a basis for daily use. (It does rather seem as if all things Android seem to be pushing us in that direction though.)

Upvote 0
I have 5 years of appointments on Outlook and it helps me retrieve needed information. This amounts to 13K in entries. Kies will sync Contacts but not Calendar. Currently, it has said "preparing to sync" for 20 minutes and I have left it on overnight. It worked the first time 6 months ago and never again. I have updated everything, re-booted, hooked and un-hooked, checked and unchecked and still nothing. Any ideas out there besides 3rd party applications? MS

Upvote 0
I recently upgraded my Samsung Galaxy SIII to Android 4.3 via KIES. At completion of upgrade I was informed that I also had to update to KIES3 to be able to interface my phone to the PC. I now find that KIES3 does not include the major functionality required to sync my phone with Outlook Calendar and Tasks.

Does anyone have suggestions re:
1. How can I retrieve the functionality I had before (KIES 2.6 which worked perfectly for me)?
2. Is there any third-party application that I can use as an alternative?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones