• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S3 to LG G3

Has anyone had the chance to extensively test/use the GPS/navigation on the LG G3 yet? I currently have the Galaxy S3, and have experienced HORRIBLE GPS reception (which, apparently, was common with the Galaxy S3). I tried all the fixes that were suggested in numerous forums, to no avail. I travel a LOT with work, and use my GPS/Navigation frequently. I am due for an upgrade and have been drooling over the LG G3 for a while now, but GPS/Navigation are extremely important to me. Anyone have any experiences to share?

Upvote 0
Im in the uk so honestly not too fussed about sunlight lol (when its that bright as to be an issue ,everyone round here is likely ti be pretty much worshipping the sun not looking at their phone. What I am concerned about is how battery life compares?

with my S3, with heavy use, I'd get 4hours before I had to charge. Moderate use 6. light use 7ish

so far with the G3, straight out of the box I got 5hrs as I tinkered and tweaked. Heavy use I get about 6-7. Moderate use 12ish. Light use (aka stuck at work where I can't use my phone aside from breaks during my 12hrs) about 20hrs.

Generally take it off the charger around 10am. and when I crawl into bed at 2am, I'm normally around 35%.

Upvote 0
with my S3, with heavy use, I'd get 4hours before I had to charge. Moderate use 6. light use 7ish

so far with the G3, straight out of the box I got 5hrs as I tinkered and tweaked. Heavy use I get about 6-7. Moderate use 12ish. Light use (aka stuck at work where I can't use my phone aside from breaks during my 12hrs) about 20hrs.

Generally take it off the charger around 10am. and when I crawl into bed at 2am, I'm normally around 35%.
interesting I used to have s3 on power saving setting most of the time to prolong life it only had a tiny effect on performance and uses to get 10 hours initially more recently I get about 7 but thebbattery has had it I suspect. If I turn power saving off time would be comparable to playing on my ps vita.... so this is very very promising for the g3. Are you in usa or uk out of interest? (Doubt there is much of a difference tbh still)

Upvote 0
When I made this thread I did not think anyone would right back. I got my phone about an hour ago and just got it activated with my old sim card. The biggest issue I had was getting the pre installed sim card out! According to my account I still have my unlimited data and the line I did the upgrade on still has no data, so everything looks to be good!

Biggest issue I have with the phone already is that when google synced up my contacts I have like 3 listing for the same person and its all email addresses no phone numbers, Just did a factory reset on the phone and working on cleaning out my google box. I have contacts from girls I met 15 years ago in my phone that I don't even know who they are now. Trying to clean them all out.

I had the same problem! I went to make a call yesterday and most of the my numbers were missing, had multiples contacts for the same people listed differently. Once I got home I jumped on my contacts on my computer and cleaned 'em up, resynced the phone, and everything was good. I think it was a problem from early android that I just never fixed properly. Annoying, but hopefully it's fixed for good now.

Upvote 0
Enjoyed my S3, but it was time to upgrade, S3 was just getting slower and weirder (running stock). To me it seemed the the S5 was loaded with more stuff in TouchWiz that just made it too crowded. Also, felt the HTC One M8 was only on my list because of the speaker. Even lost unlimited for this phone.

Anyway, so far, no complaints. Still learning to use it really and get all my screens set up and everything downloaded. Wish I had run a speed test with my S3 before it was deactivated to see how they compared and if I was getting any xlte. Thought about waiting until the new batch of phones came out, but I knew I couldn't. So far, happy with my decision.

Upvote 0
Enjoyed my S3, but it was time to upgrade, S3 was just getting slower and weirder (running stock). To me it seemed the the S5 was loaded with more stuff in TouchWiz that just made it too crowded. Also, felt the HTC One M8 was only on my list because of the speaker. Even lost unlimited for this phone.

Anyway, so far, no complaints. Still learning to use it really and get all my screens set up and everything downloaded. Wish I had run a speed test with my S3 before it was deactivated to see how they compared and if I was getting any xlte. Thought about waiting until the new batch of phones came out, but I knew I couldn't. So far, happy with my decision.
+1 to al of that, exact same thing for me. Samsung lost the sale to me by not offering a 32GB version. I wasn't going from a 32GB S3 to a 16BGB S5. 2 years later and half the storage? My G3 should come mid next week.

Upvote 0
I've been setting my G3 up the way I want it since late thursday. My phone spent most of the evening downloading all my apps, and REALLY drained my battery fast since I was on 4G. I left the office at 5pm with a 96% charge, and by 7:30pm I was down to 34%, which I found shocking.

Friday I was using it at the office for e-mail, SMS, and several phone calls, and didn't really tax it that hard. Battery drain, relative to my S3 was still much greater.

Yesterday I set up Apex launcher the way I had my S3, and still noted substantial battery drain on my new G3 relative to my old S3, and that continues to be the one thing that I have major concerns about my new G3.

The G3 is relatively fast in most areas, but compared to my S3, I expected it to be a little more zippy.

I really like the size of the screen combined with the efficiently sized form factor. I like the screen, and while the brightness is quite subjective, I've set mine up to 70% (probably why my battery is draining out so badly), and it's very satisfactory to me at that level. The screen on the G3 blows the S3 away easily. The G3 came pre-set at 39% brightness, which was too dim. It was rainy here yesterday, and will be cloudy again today, so I haven't had it in direct sunlight to compare to my S3.

Today I'll use my phone to take notes with a bluetooth foldable keyboard while I'm at church, and will observe battery drain compared to my S3. My S3 will usually drain about 15-18% points per hour, and I suspect my G3 will be more.

I'll post additional observations later, and hope this helps S3 users think through both pros and cons while considering the G3.

Upvote 0
This is what is frustrating for some techies and reviews. The G3s display is both it's selling point to the masses and an overall battery/performance weight.

LG made the right decision for sales though, since most people are updating from two year old devices. The G3 is better for battery and performance from that perspective.

LG made a nice device for most people. Should be a big win.

Upvote 0
Rushmore, you've been dead on with your concerns about the screen on the G3 all along. Following your comments in the pre-release forum was great fun, and now proves your voiced concerns to be prophetic.

There's a lot to like about the G3, but the extreme battery consumption by the screen isn't one of them.

Maybe once I get to using the device in a more normal mode for me instead of playing with it, tweaking this and then that, etc. will show the battery to be less of a flaw, but I'm not counting on it.

Reactions: rushmore
Upvote 0
Rushmore, you've been dead on with your concerns about the screen on the G3 all along. Following your comments in the pre-release forum was great fun, and now proves your voiced concerns to be prophetic.

There's a lot to like about the G3, but the extreme battery consumption by the screen isn't one of them.

Maybe once I get to using the device in a more normal mode for me instead of playing with it, tweaking this and then that, etc. will show the battery to be less of a flaw, but I'm not counting on it.
I think for lighter users they will have a happy time, but will be interesting to see how heavier users feel in time.

More interesting will be reactions for the very likely LG 3 Plus ;) The industry is expecting a significant market share battle. Not seeing LG sit it out and let Samsung get the glory.

LG 3 Plus is about as certain as the open arms LeBron will see in Cleveland. That said, I will doubt it some if Best Buy Dude says it.

Again, doesn't anybody find it odd a 3/32 5.5" priced as it is? Could be price positioning for a "better" product option that would sit over the G3 in a few months. Just ahead of the launch of the iPhone 6.

Upvote 0
I will probably "give" my G3 to one of my employees, if a G3 prime or plus or whatever comes out with a better processor. I can take the liberty to claim another of my multiple upgrades then is such a phone does prove to exist within the next few months. There's also a possibility that I may choose a Note 4.

My current plan is to root the G3, and then see if changing the screen settings to 1080 will dramatically improve my battery life span. If that works, this would be a phone worth keeping.

Upvote 0
I'm a S3 user who is considering the G3 as a replacement, but hearing the disappointing experiences about the battery, I may wait longer and see what the Nexus 6 is like or even see what is around for Motorola or even the HTC m8 before even considering the S5. I like my S3, but my experience with bad firmware update practically disabling my data connection has me looking at what else is there.

Upvote 0
I'm a S3 user who is considering the G3 as a replacement, but hearing the disappointing experiences about the battery, I may wait longer and see what the Nexus 6 is like or even see what is around for Motorola or even the HTC m8 before even considering the S5. I like my S3, but my experience with bad firmware update practically disabling my data connection has me looking at what else is there.

After considering it heavily and weighing everything up, the better battery life AND water resistance and dust resistance etc have meant I'm getting the S5-contracts actually slightly cheaper aswell for the same mins, texts and data :) I'll just flash a custom kernel and a modded OS when/if touchwiz bores me/pissed me off- although wht with all the leaked images and rumours that have turned out to eventually been correct it seems a google play version of the s5 should be avaiable eventually, wen that occurs I'll flash a version of the OS from that someone on XDA will upload having dumped it from the device xD

Upvote 0
I am sorry this thread was not moved earlier, but I am not moving this thread to the Device/Carrier Comparisons since this thread kind of turned into a comparison between new devices.

This thread has a lot of good information that other members could use and it would be easier for them to find it and continue the discussion in that forum.

Upvote 0
I came from the S3 to the G3 and am liking it alot . I was running a sorts of roms and my battery life on the S3 was good. I have had the G3 since 7/20 and here is my battery life so far.

I work in a radiology area with led walls making cell reception really bad.

Monday I ran cell data off but on wifi and I got about 11hr with 2hr screen time by 3pm.

Tuesday I ran airplane mode with using wifi on my lunch and breaks. and I got down to 45% after 17hrs with 3.5 hrs on screen time.

Wednesday is my third day of testing and I am running airplane mode but with wifi on all day : will get back with results.

On Saturday I will be able to see how the phone does with a full day of normal usage.But from what I have so far it seams on par with if not a little better than the s3. This is fine with me because it can get through all day .

Upvote 0
I got the G3.. I got the first one and returned it. Second one I got is doing much better battery wise. I have turned off (disabled) bloatware.

From the box, setup the phone and let it install everything what needed and setup the phone the way i wanted and played with it until battery died.

Morning took off the charger, browsed sports stuff for 2 minutes on wifi, setup bluetooth (took a while to pair) and played music for approx 15 minutes of drive to work. Battery is still 100%..

Upvote 0
My G3 definitely lasts less than my S3, but since I've gotten everything set up, I'm also finding that I can tolerate a little less life span for the VERY nice screen. Being that I have 22 lines available for upgrade, I blew one on the G3. I'm going to keep a watchful eye on the Note 4, and also see if the rumored G3 Prime will be coming to the US - and finally see if it will come to Verizon.

In the mean time, I like this giant screen, and have really grown to enjoy several features built into the G3. With my brightness set to 81% and auto on, I've noticed that it gets similar life span to what my S3 was getting.

I'll keep running the G3, and would definitely have a tough time going back to my beloved S3 if I had to.

Upvote 0
My G3 definitely lasts less than my S3, but since I've gotten everything set up, I'm also finding that I can tolerate a little less life span for the VERY nice screen. Being that I have 22 lines available for upgrade, I blew one on the G3. I'm going to keep a watchful eye on the Note 4, and also see if the rumored G3 Prime will be coming to the US - and finally see if it will come to Verizon.

In the mean time, I like this giant screen, and have really grown to enjoy several features built into the G3. With my brightness set to 81% and auto on, I've noticed that it gets similar life span to what my S3 was getting.

I'll keep running the G3, and would definitely have a tough time going back to my beloved S3 if I had to.

You are getting less battery life on the G3 than on the S3?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones