galaxy s3 turns off occasionally by itself?General

Last Updated:

1. daniela42595

daniela42595 Member

Occasionally since I bought it a week ago it shuts off by itself. Its not that much but when it does happen its annoying. Also I have poor battery life even when I tweeked a lot of my settings in order to save battery life. Is it a defective battery or phone? What should I do?

2. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Well-Known Member

I was going to say a defactive battery but seen as you have 2 problems i would reccomend returning the device as mine never just shuts off and it also has a decent battery life
  3. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum daniela.

Does it turn off completely or does it reboot itself straight after? I used to have similar problems with the s2 but not the s3 so I can't guarantee it's relevant. The first thing I'd try is a reset of your phone. You'll lose everything but I hope it won't be too much of a problem after a week. That made it better for me but in the end the ultimate fix turned out to be a software update when it became available.
  4. daniela42595

daniela42595 Member

It shuts of completely and I have to turn it back on myself. Plus I lose about 10% battery an hour
  5. Shotgun84

Mine used to reboot itself so that sounds like a dud to me. It still might be worth a factory reset but I'd ask for a replacement
  6. Heisenberg123

Heisenberg123 Well-Known Member

sounds like something is wrong the battery is not that bad 10% per hour is still 10 hours so it depends on what you are doing, but the shut downs are not normal
  7. Shotgun84

That 10% an hour kind of depends how much you've used your phone though. I can put my phone down for the night and wake up with 1 less. But in the other hand if I'm trolling the forum I could do 10ish in half hour
  8. Despotes

Despotes Active Member

Reminds me of the Captivate problem.
  9. HTC foot

HTC foot Member

Hi D,

I had a similar probelm when i received my new S3 from Vodafone except mine restarted itself. It seemed to be if i put the CPU under any stress it would just give up and re-start. Video player, Autobox, anything CPU intensive made it re-boot.
    It was a defective phone. Vodafone replaced it and the new one has been fine.

I'd say send it back.
  10. jackroo

jackroo Well-Known Member

I just recently had this problem. Mine doesn't boot back on after randomly shutting off. I have to pull the battery out and turn it back on. Irritating.
  11. MelonSplitter

MelonSplitter Well-Known Member

Anyone find a solution to this? A CSR told had me take my phone to a Sprint store so a "Service Tech" could look at it but I already knew what they would do. They would just perform a factory reset. I could do this myself. Anyway, that didnt work and niether did a new battery. This problem happens randomly even after clearing Cache in settings.