• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S3 Watering Hole

Didn't know that ???? Uh, do tell!

Oh, and Treb you should pay attention in case Mrs. Treb gets nosey!

You can use the app "Tasker" (costs a few $) so that if anyone enters the wrong unlock patern/code to wake your phone, the phone takes a pic of whoever it is ;-)

I'll try and hunt down link if you like

Upvote 0
You can use the app "Tasker" (costs a few $) so that if anyone enters the wrong unlock patern/code to wake your phone, the phone takes a pic of whoever it is ;-)

I'll try and hunt down link if you like

I do so love Tasker, but it's not the easiest thing to learn. There's just so much you can do with it.

My battery life has definitely gotten better since I used it to disconnect from stuff depending on where I am.

Upvote 0
I do so love Tasker, but it's not the easiest thing to learn. There's just so much you can do with it.

My battery life has definitely gotten better since I used it to disconnect from stuff depending on where I am.

It will get better as they have a beta out that allows for tasks to be exported into install-able apks. I'm not familiar with Tasker, but I read an article about it somewhere.

Upvote 0
It will get better as they have a beta out that allows for tasks to be exported into install-able apks. I'm not familiar with Tasker, but I read an article about it somewhere.

Yeah, I saw that the other day and thought it was real neat. I'd say it's the Swiss Army Knife of apps but it's way too flexible to be limited in such a fashion!

Upvote 0
Ok.... Newbie question. And I really feel dumb on this one.

Where do you get the apps? I go to the play store and download google wallet, Nada. I know I'm missing a step somewhere. LIke, If I wanted Google now, where would I go to get it?

SORRY!

Wallets not an app you can just install. Neither was Google Now.

Wallet requires some deep penetration of the operating system so I think (Think mind) it has to be flashed via a recovery.

Now was actually very easy to flash. Downloaded the zip file, rebooted to recovery, flashed and rebooted again. All done in about a minute, including boot times.

Upvote 0
Fun fact, rooted or not - you can backup your Contacts on Google from your PC.

Go to Gmail, click the red Gmail in the upper left, choose Contacts. To the right of that, More (dropdown), Export... and it will save a contacts payload to your PC.

I like the vCard format, it's a standard. They also have csv file backups, I've not tried those lately but in the past, I didn't have great luck with them.

Anyway, if you bork any part of your contact list, you can use that backup to restore using the same path, choosing Import... From there, follow your nose and have it remove all duplicates.

Because, yeah, in the course of trying to keep my contacts sync'd I've managed to sync some of them into the ground. :D

So, there you go. :)

Reactions: kymberlin
Upvote 0
Ok.... Newbie question. And I really feel dumb on this one.

Where do you get the apps? I go to the play store and download google wallet, Nada. I know I'm missing a step somewhere. LIke, If I wanted Google now, where would I go to get it?

SORRY!

See if there are threads for either in your All Things Root subforum in our SGS3 area. :)

The root advantage - being able to install things that they don't want to give you.

I'm sorry that I can't play the grand piano (no more buttered scones for me, mater!), not sure what you're sorry about. ;) :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones