• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S3 Watering Hole

Oh k'lin k'lin k'lin, see this is why your here, ask and you shall receive.

Now bear in mind that my S3 doesn't have a locked bootloader (int version) but I might be able to help clear up a couple of other things.

The kernel is the main "guts of the brain" of any droid version, it sets limits and stuff and holds vital data for the rest of the droid body to know what's going on.
(a bit like BIOS in any regular pc)

Rooting will give you SU access to all files on the phone, be them hidden, system, etc or regular. And then you can move, copy, delete, change permissions etc for any file.

Being that you have SU you can also do more stuff like;

Flash a new more efficient kernel to improve hardware drivers/hardware speeds etc

Flash a new ROM like CynogenMod that you've seen about. This would be the rest of the droid body, and like a droid over a human, it will have various enhancements and mods.

CynogenMod is basically a version of Android like ics or jb but devs have added new & updated features. For instance on your pull down menu (notifications) you might have airplane mode, but on CynogenMod you can change ALL them buttons to be what ever buttons that version of CynogenMod support. So you could change the number of buttons you have there too.

I must admit, I don't know much about bootloader but I'm sure Trent can step in

I'm going to read this post about 3 more times, after my nap and dinner of course... And I will get back to this.

Actually the funny thing is, My VZW rep is completely rooted and flashing crap everyday. He says the same thing, that I should be good, but.... I need a backup plan... in case I screw it all up. As, they say~ a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.... and with all due respect, that's where I am scared.... I only have a little knowledge.

Upvote 0
Wow.... Treb ? Do we need to have a talk ?

Do you really "need" to root? Is there something you want your phone to do that it does not already do?

I would say root first, then just get used to what else you can do just with root access.

See what apps you can get that need root, that you need.

Once you have a feel for just what you can do with root permissions and the extra apps you can get, if your phone still doesn't do what you want it to do then look into what mods are out there and which do what extra bits you want.

For me, I rooted my old portal to get things like updates (was stuck on 1.6 until I rooted and flashed 2.1 then 2.2 onto it.) and to get multi touch working. And I went with CynogenMod and tried spicagen mod but didn't like it much.

You can (i think) run most mods with most alternative kernels, but some kernels are optimised for a specific mod (but don't take that as gospel)

Upvote 0
Do you really "need" to root? Is there something you want your phone to do that it does not already do?

I would say root first, then just get used to what else you can do just with root access.

See what apps you can get that need root, that you need.

Once you have a feel for just what you can do with root permissions and the extra apps you can get, if your phone still doesn't do what you want it to do then look into what mods are out there and which do what extra bits you want.

For me, I rooted my old portal to get things like updates (was stuck on 1.6 until I rooted and flashed 2.1 then 2.2 onto it.) and to get multi touch working. And I went with CynogenMod and tried spicagen mod but didn't like it much.

You can (i think) run most mods with most alternative kernels, but some kernels are optimised for a specific mod (but don't take that as gospel)

Now that, is a great question. I would like Wallet..... JB would be a plus..... But I really want wallet. Everything else I'm great with.

I sound like a total gold digger... I WANT WALLET........ I WANT WALLET !

Upvote 0
Now that, is a great question. I would like Wallet..... JB would be a plus..... But I really want wallet. Everything else I'm great with.

I sound like a total gold digger... I WANT WALLET........ I WANT WALLET !

So forget Roms & Kernels for now, just get the rooting done and get the wallet. And of course explore other great apps like set cpu etc ;)

We knew this would eventually come out.

Ooh meoww! Handbags at dawn? Lmfao

Upvote 0
Kymberlin will be glad to fill you in on all this. ;)

I was completely unaware of the fact that some terms that are used by the general public statements are also terms that would be used to describe certain.... how shall I say it...... More mature portals of the internet..

Hence , why I wouldn't know....

So, until further notice I shall no longer put .com after any term. Endearing or not.

There, I said it

FYI..... Mr. Lin to my gross negligence responded.... :"really, I thought you would know that with 4 boys ".....who knew ????

Reactions: treb1797
Upvote 0
I was completely unaware of the fact that some terms that are used by the general public statements are also terms that would be used to describe certain.... how shall I say it...... More mature portals of the internet..

Hence , why I wouldn't know....

So, until further notice I shall no longer put .com after any term. Endearing or not.

There, I said it

FYI..... Mr. Lin to my gross negligence responded.... :"really, I thought you would know that with 4 boys ".....who knew ????

I'm getting the idea but no idea what it was you could have said...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones