Galaxy S3 Watering Hole

Last Updated:

1. kymberlin

kymberlin *~ Life is Beautiful ~* VIP Member

If you will be available to direct me to the best root system. I will be so grateful and will see you rooted tomorrow ( I will awaken fresh at my customary 4am to begin). I can "unroot right ?

Also, is is essentially like a factory restart? I have to redo all my apps etc?

I thank y'all for being there through this :stickyman: process. And I owe all my fame...... TO THEEE!:adore:

Expecially you XplosiV and Trent (don't hate treb lol)

Advertisement
  2. treb1797

treb1797 Well-Known Member

Seriously guys lets just move on. That's me playing Guide for a minute. Best to move on though.
  3. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

I would recommend PRINTING this http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga.../598076-guide-step-step-rooting-flashing.html

So you can refer without the need for a comp

That's for a verizon S3, are you with them?
  4. XplosiV

Also Iirc rooting itself doesn't wipe the phone, but flashing a rom does, so hopefully you won't need to reinstall all your apps, but I could be wrong.
  5. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Using it right now to rock out to some classic Boyz to Men. :D
    Love how I can use. You Nexus upside down and the buttons rotate.
    Take that capacitive buttons. :p
  6. kymberlin

7. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Neither flashing a rom or rooting will wipe your phone on their own. However flashing a rom without manually wiping your phone beforehand is not usually a good idea unless it's a incremental update, and the developer has given the ok. :)
  8. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

I rooted both our S3's within a couple of hours of getting them.

It really was rather ridiculously easy and I was done before I knew it.

Wife was initially a tad bit apprehensive about doing hers, what with it being brand spanking new and all but she felt better when I did mine first.

Then she was very happy when we restored all her apps and data from her old Incredible with TB - especially Where's My Water.

Ended up putting CWM 5.8 touch on using EZ-Recovery (I like touch, what can I say?), and was quickly able to run a Nandroid quickly afterwards.

I flashed the G1 ROM because it seemed easy enough using ODIN (and it was).

I even hear tell of an app that Unlocks the bootloader (from the same dev who wrote EZ-Recovery). Dunno how true this is, but if it is then I'm even more excited!

Go on, root! You know you wanna!
  9. kymberlin

I'm pretty sure my nerves will not allow me to change a thing unless my kind friends here at AF tell me it's ok. So No problems there.

Root= doesn't change anything except access allowance (my understanding correct me if i'm wrong) I'm going to start right there. I will get nice and comfy there and then graduate to ..... Smartphone class for dummies 1.2

Y'all are amazing !!!
  10. XplosiV

11. kymberlin

I see the light.... I shall @ 5 am tomorrow!

(when there are no child distractions)

Thanks all!!!!
  12. Rachel A

Root just gives you an SU binary which then allows all other rooted apps to run.

Once you've got root then you can either leave it at that or go one step further and flash a recovery (e.g. ClockWorkMod) which will then allow you to back up the entire phone to the SD card. I do this myself whenever I do things like updating BusyBox (just in case it should screw up).

Root is the one ring to rule them all!
  13. kymberlin

14. Rachel A

I'll be in bed fast asleep at 5AM, but I'll try and send you good luck waves through the either at the time (not that I think you'll need them).
  15. Rachel A

I used method 2 myself. I did have a phone with an existing G1 stock ROM on it though. Unsure if it makes any difference if you're currently on F2 or G1.
  16. treb1797

Good luck K Lin !!
  17. XplosiV

Personally I'm more familiar with method 2 & using odin.

But I would say read through each method a few times and go with whichever you feel more comfortable with.

I guess it depends to some degree just how tech savvy you are. I don't know how much you know about PC's or what experience you have so I can't say yea method 1 or 2 is better for you.

Just read, try as best as you can to do a dry run, before actually doing either method to the letter.

Good luck though. I'm sure once your done you'll be well impressed with yourself either way. Rock on!
    kymberlin likes this.
  18. Rachel A

I had several wines inside me when I rooted and I was fine!

Then again I've also attempted to solder multiple RS232 25 pin cables when I was drunk so I'm not sure if that's a recommendation or not (I know my fingers took weeks to recover afterwards...)
  19. kymberlin

20. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

PM Phases. That is what I had to do when I signed up. Sometimes it just does not work and he will get you straightened out. And don't worry, he is plenty friendly and doesn't bite.:)

Regarding the man crush posts from earlier, I'll post later as I need to be on a PC.
  21. treb1797

22. Rachel A

23. treb1797

You won't find my pictures there either :p

Afternoon Pup...What up ?
  24. kymberlin

I am currently downloading any and all drivers... Be forewarned :)
  25. XplosiV