• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S3 wifi loses connection

vani172

Lurker
May 30, 2013
Hello guys. I have a problem with my galaxy s3. I have been having some wifi reconnect problems lately. Some people say that the last android update causes it but i am not really sure if that is correct since i havent tested and am kinda new to rooting flashing etc... dont wanna take any risks just for now... So today my problem started to get very annoying. I was downloading a 300 mb game and it constantly kept restarting the download because of the wifi connection problem. After an hour trying i got off my lazy a** went next to the router and placed the phone right infront of it and was just like "dare you reconnect now..." and guess what it reconnected...:-( so i started to rage and put my phone behind the router and bent one of the antennaes so it is right next to the phone. This is when i finally managed to download the f***ing game xD. The first time i was trying my wifi signal was saying very good i think 5 bars or something so i dont think that is the problem. So yeah guys i am desperately looking for an answer. RMA is an option. Thanks in advance ...

Welcome to the forums, vani.

Your description of the problem sounds like a crowded wifi channel. If you have access to the router settings, try setting the (1 through 11) channel to a different number.

Often we see good results from a router restart, either unplug it and plug it back in, use a switch on the router that is there for restarting, hit "restart router" in the settings menu, or use the tiny pin-hole on the back that is there for a full reset (all settings will have to be reconfigured).

Routers are the usual culprit in bad/weak or unreliable connections.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I've been having an absolute nightmare with the wifi on my S3. Bought it 3 months ago, first two months all worked absolutely fine. Suddenly developed a problem where it constantly says 'wrong password' when I try to log on to my home network or anywhere else - even if the network doesn't require a password and the phone hasn't asked for one!

I've 'factory reset' it. I've done the full emergency 'back to hardware' wipe via Kies and then reinstalled. It's been away for repair and they've done the same and pronounced it fine. Received it back today and the behaviour is unchanged.

The shop just wants to send it off for repair again, but if they can't replicate the problem they're not going to be able to fix it, so it'll just be 3 or 4 more weeks wasted.

I've done all the forget/restart/reconnect stuff.
I've changed the router name and password.
I've changed the router for a new one.

In desperation, just to be able to use wifi at home (won't be feasible to do it everywhere), I want to use the WPS connection option. But the phone doesn't appear to have one.

I've tried selecting show advanced options - the first option that shows is for proxy settings.

I've tried the long-press/connect to network route, then selecting show advanced options. The first option that shows is still proxy settings. Security shows as WPA2 PSK, but it's just text and not anything I can click/touch.

I have the WPS PIN for my router but nowhere to enter it, and am stuck between a device that won't do what it's meant to and an intransigent network and shop (phones4u) that won't replace it.

Help!?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones