Galaxy S4 AT&T Pre-Order - Only 16GB AvailableGeneral

1. ThirstyDog

ThirstyDog Well-Known Member

Just looked at the AT&T pre-order and they are only showing the 16GB.
    Was the 32 up for pre-order last night or earlier this morning? :confused:

Advertisement
    :
  2. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

I'm going to be going into a corporate store to do my preorder.
  3. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member

The 32gb has not been up for pre-order. I ordered mine last night when the page went live. They gave me a date of May 2nd.
  4. trparky

The preorder for the 32 GB version is May 2nd? Or it will be available for purchase on May 2nd?
  5. archer75

Neither. The preorder has not been up for it. I ordered the 16gb version. They gave me a ETA of May 2nd.
  6. trparky

Has anyone come close to filling up the 16 GB version of the S3 with just apps and the various data that those apps store? I'm going to be putting a 32 GB MicroSD Card in my phone so external storage isn't a problem but what I'm worried about is the internal storage for apps and app data.

Can apps be instructed to use another location to store media?
  7. trparky

What is /sdcard mounted to when you put a MicroSD card into one of these phones?
  8. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

If you play games on your device, the 32GB does not take long, so 16GB is silly low. Misnomer being the 16Gb that 32Gb is free for use. Actual user space is several GB less due to formatting, OS, apps and operational floor for Android.

Surely Att will offer a 32GB version. If VZW pulls this, I will stick with the S3.

Added: This seems ironic since the One will have a 64GB version on Att- correct? Microsd is only good for media and some app data- not direct app installs. HTC pay Att a little somethin' for the advantage? ;)
  9. archer75

On my galaxy nexus i've never come close to filling up 16gb. Gobs of apps and games and all my podcast subscriptions as well as rom backups don't come close to filling it.

Even on my nexus 10 with even more apps/games i'm still not quite using 16gb.
  10. zorrloft

zorrloft New Member

I've been checking since it became available at midnight, the 32 gig has not shown up yet. I even tried calling AT&T. The rep confirmed there should be a 32 gig version, but wasn't able to find it either. He put a call into a couple of different people but wasn't able to come up with any answers. He simply suggested I check again in a few hours.:mad:
  11. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

More likely ATT paid HTC a little something to have an exclusivity period on the 64GB version.

Just hope they don't manage to cut a similar deal with Samsung ;)
  12. Pappy35

Pappy35 Well-Known Member

Just pre-ordered mine (16G). Ship date is the 30th.
  13. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Well-Known Member

I wish the 32GB was out for pre-order too, but I thought the same for the GS3 and settled with the 16GB. Then the 16GB worked out to be fine since I don't install that many games. I keep all of my music and video on a 64GB Micro SDHC card. But if I installed a lot of games, I can see where it's an issue.
  14. trparky

I pre-ordered the 16GB version. I'll have to make it stretch. I don't do much gaming on my phone. More media than anything but I'll have an SDCard for that.
  15. zorrloft

zorrloft New Member

AT&T rep just told me the pre-order for the 32 gig will start Friday.
  16. trparky

D**m it, I'm going to have to go to the AT&T store on Sunday to see if I can switch out to the 32 GB version of the phone. Hopefully it has the same release date.
  17. Pappy35

Pappy35 Well-Known Member

16G works for me. I keep all my photos and music on the SD card. I don't use the phone for intense gaming, just music and point and shoot photography and the 32GB SD card i have works just fine in my S3.
  18. trparky

Well, I'm looking at long term. How much of the internal storage is used by the OS itself?
  19. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

If you looked at all the information on the AT&T site about the GS4, you would have seen that it said 32GB models are coming later...

[​IMG]
  20. trparky

Well, "later" in AT&T speak could be a week from now, two weeks from now, or a month from now. It's like the word "soon", what does that mean? What? Soon after the sun grows cold?
  21. ThirstyDog

ThirstyDog Well-Known Member

Cool, and word on the 64GB ?
  22. Gearu

Gearu Well-Known Member

Still cannot find any news on any of the 64GB, this is really slack from Samsung in my book.
  23. trparky

For those of you who have had the S3 16 GB version, has anyone ever come close to filling up the internal storage of the 16 GB?
  24. trparky

And for that matter... how much of the internal storage is used by the core OS? I'm assuming that the core OS takes a part of internal 16 GB of space.
  25. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

I've seen figures of 9-9.5 GB available quoted on XDA. Hard to be sure as I don't know whether anyone has the final software or whether it varies with model, but it sounds plausible. Would be surprised if more than 10GB were available, as the system software won't have got smaller.