• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S4 battery life

I'm at 63 percent after 8 hours and 45 minutes with an hour and 18 minutes of screen on time. Mostly surfing the Web, checking the Facebook app, and sending texts. I find it a fair amount better than the s3, especially at idle. I work in a building with lots of brick and metal and my reception is usually pretty low so I know the phone is using more juice trying to stay connected. When I'm out and about in town and I have a good signal it usually will do even better. Overall I'm impressed and probably won't have to install juice defender in it like I did with the s3.

Upvote 0
I don't have LTE in my area yet, so I'm just on AT&T 4G. I've done better than this, but this is typical for me, partly because of work though. I can't have a cell at work, so it sat 12 hours idle. Still, that's 26 hours being active, about 2-3 hours screen time. I'm not a heavy phone user, so I can stretch the battery a bit more than some. I think the longest I've gone was 1d 18h, somewhere around there.

1d 14h 8m, click for higher res.

Upvote 0
I don't have LTE in my area yet, so I'm just on AT&T 4G. I've done better than this, but this is typical for me, partly because of work though. I can't have a cell at work, so it sat 12 hours idle. Still, that's 26 hours being active, about 2-3 hours screen time. I'm not a heavy phone user, so I can stretch the battery a bit more than some. I think the longest I've gone was 1d 18h, somewhere around there.

1d 14h 8m, click for higher res.
If you are not on LTE, it means you are using HSPA+, which is NOT 4G, AT&T and T-Mobile might want to call it 4G, it is NOT, 4G is LTE, if it was pure 4G than both those carriers mentioned would not try to roll out an LTE true 4G Network.

Upvote 0
If you are not on LTE, it means you are using HSPA+, which is NOT 4G, AT&T and T-Mobile might want to call it 4G, it is NOT, 4G is LTE, if it was pure 4G than both those carriers mentioned would not try to roll out an LTE true 4G Network.

Sorry, but HSPA+ is 4G, and so is LTE. LTE is just much more faster, which is why it sucks up so much power.

Also, FYI, AT&T has LTE networks. They just don't have as many as Verizon.

Upvote 0

I'm not going to continue the argument as others have already done so. However, I will say that I don't see how your post has anything to do with battery life.

Upvote 0
No, it isn't. HSPA+ is an extension of 3G, hence why older phones can use it (e.g. my SGS2 had it). 4G/LTE is a different radio interface.

On topic, I have LTE, 36% left, 18hrs 15mins on battery, 2.5hrs screen on time, but I use Voltage Control underclocked @ 1350MHz

I think we have different definitions for 4G. The definition I'm using is the same definition all U.S. carriers use. T-Mobile & AT&T advertise that they have large 4G networks which is true. Also, LTE is never advertised as just "4G". They always include the "LTE".

Maybe the term "4G" is only used for LTE & WiMaxx in Australia.

Upvote 0
I think we have different definitions for 4G. The definition I'm using is the same definition all U.S. carriers use. T-Mobile & AT&T advertise that they have large 4G networks which is true. Also, LTE is never advertised as just "4G". They always include the "LTE".

Maybe the term "4G" is only used for LTE & WiMaxx in Australia.

Its really gray area as you are both right. Originally the governing body stated that only LTE and WiMax were considered 4g however they ammended their policy to allow all carriers to market their coverage as 4g. However its a term loosely used as 4g the term is based on the spectrums capability and not the coverage you are actually receiving, which are not true 4g speeds ;)

Upvote 0
Its been so long since I had a properly functioning battery so I may have clouded judgement but I am impressed.
My phone got her yesterday. I tinkered a little bit. Put it on the charger with 35% left. Charged really quickly.
Then I set everything up last night after it was fully charged. Spent hours downloading apps, setting up accounts, customizing my home screens- wallpapers, widgets, which apps go where.
Then decided to download apex launcher. Customized all of those screens all over again.
Went to bed with battery at 67%.
My Bionic would have been dead by then. I was still well over half.

Whats even more impressive is that its a brand new battery, and in my experience with previous android phones, these batteries dont really hold charges that well until they go through a few charging cycles. So it may get even better still. Even if not, Im happy with it.

Upvote 0
I've got a good feel of the battery life after a couple of weeks of using this phone.

Compared to my Bionic, the battery on this phone last incredibly long. I would estimate that it lasts more than 3x as long. My Bionic could only last around 8 hours of moderately heavy use (watching videos for 30 mins., listening to MP3s for 4 hours, etc.).

This phone lasts a good 3 days of moderately heavy use. I've averaged about 1 day & 15 hours with 15% battery left. And that's with LTE. I'm very happy with the phone.

Keep in mind that my Bionic battery was probably beaten-up pretty badly. I am pretty sure it lastest noticeably longer when I first got the phone.

Upvote 0
zetyha4e.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones