Galaxy S4 blurry from more than 12 inchesGeneral

1. PhoebeDog

PhoebeDog Member

I am hoping someone can help me. I bought my husband the Galaxy S4 last week. The "Selfie" mode camera is crystal clear. The camera itself is clear up to a distance of 3-6 inches, but any further than that it is a blurry mess. I have tried settings, tried outdoors, indoors, flash on/off, auto focus on/off, and every other thing I can think of.

If someone could suggest what we're doing wrong I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

There's been a number of similar threads on here so you may want to look through those, but there not too much can be done about it unfortunately.

Only tip i can give you is to hold your camera steady for a few seconds after you here the shutter.

Bottom line pretty much is the s4 camera is hopeless. Far inferior compared to the s3.
  3. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Can you post some examples?

I have taken a lot of pictures with my S4 and almost all of them were from much more than 30cm and, in good light at least, were not blurry at all.

I suspect there is a hardware issue with your phone but let's have a look at some examples and take it from there.
  4. PhoebeDog

PhoebeDog Member

Thanks, I will check out the threads, I did a quick look and didn't see anything.

The holding it still doesn't work. You can have it lying down flat on the table and it's still blurry. It NEVER focuses at a distance of more than 6 inches or so. Ever.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will delve more deeply into the forums.
  5. PhoebeDog

PhoebeDog Member

I am off to a family gathering but will post photos later this evening. As I said, from 3-6 inches it is crystal clear, but any further and it's a blurry mess. Thanks for replying, I will post photos later.
  6. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

Make sure you've removed the protective film that is over the lens when the phone is shipped.
    electricpete likes this.
  7. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

If it really is true that it won't focus at any distance > 6", it's broken.
  8. KryptoNyte

KryptoNyte Well-Known Member

That could be a bad camera in the phone. I know that with my S4, when it doesn't focus, it's usually because it's focusing on an object at a distance that isn't the intended object of the photo, so I generally tend to tap the screen on the object that I'm trying to photo and it focuses on that area instead.
  9. sreum

sreum Well-Known Member

I have found that Dane thing in my phone. As silly as it sounds I aim at what I want to take a picture of then tap the screen. Then my phone auto focuses to the further objects. Then if I move the phone and want something more near I have to tap the screen again. And the camera will readjust to the more near object.