Galaxy S4-Can app data move to the SD card?Support

1. eran_le

eran_le New Member

hi,

Currently app data goes only to the phone's internal memory. Installing a few "heavy" games (Modern Warfare, Asphalt etc...), each using 1gb-2gb of data finished my space. I have an 32 gb sd card but didn't find a way to send this data to it. Is there a way?
    I had 3 other android phones before, and in all of them this type of app data went directly to the sd card, so I simply upgraded it when it run out of space.

Advertisement
  2. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

This is a result of the phone's internal SD card. It is up to the developer to recognize that the phone has two storage methods and either automatically install to the SD card or allow the user to move the data. If the option is not enabled in App Info (Settings -> More... -> Application Manager -> "Game Name"), you'll have to harass the developer for the ability.
  3. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

As above it's upto the developer if you get this option or not.

That said there are ways around but it requires you root your phone;
  4. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

If you root your phone, foldermount app will do the trick
  5. eran_le

eran_le New Member

Tried with 3 other Android phones (Different Sony xperia models), and in all of them the same apps use the SD card to store their data. In the S4 not a single app (and I have many) uses the SD card, all store their data in the phone's memory. It's as if this memory is reported as an SD card to the app.
  6. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Sygic Aura can.

Storing data on the internal SD card (which is a confusing and stupid name BTW) is a safe choice because all devices have one.

The inability to move apps to the external SD card is Google's choice not Samsung's so I don't believe the inability to store data on the external SD card is likely to be anything specific to the S4.
  7. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

The Sony Xperia models - what version of Android are they on? I think Jellybean made some changes about the ability to move to external storage
  8. bersmeg

bersmeg New Member

Root and install link2sd