• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S4 Lollipop Update

I'm a Droid Turbo user. A friend has a Galaxy S4 and was asking to install the Lollipop OTA. I suggested before doing so that she get prepared with the possibility of needing a Factory Data Reset.

The dialog kept coming up and she kept responding to not install.

She reported yesterday that the install just started without her authorization. This is a new concept for me.
  • Is there a specific number of times the request to install is made on the S4 and then it just installs anyway or was she in error?
  • Is it possible to revert to KitKat after upgrading to Lollipop on the S4?
... Thom

I'm guessing your friend has a U.S. carrier branded, minority, model of the Galaxy S4, (see 29 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?), as the normal worldwide models allow you to choose whether to check for updates, or not, whilst the carrier branded models, such as Verizon and AT&T exercise totalitarian control over their customers and force updates to the phone, irrespective of the customers wishes. They do allow a certain number of refusals but then it is fait accompli. The only way to stop such updates are to either select update via Wi-Fi only... and then never connect to Wi-Fi again!!! Alternatively, you can root your phone. You should be able to download and flash a KitKat firmware for the carrier model, via Odin. However, it will update you again.

Kim Jong-un, Supreme leader of North Korea, lies awake at night, wondering how he can achieve the same powers that American carriers impose on their customers. ;)

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
why would you not want lollipop?

That question might be better addressed to the thousands of Verizon users of the Galaxy S5 who have chosen to revert to KitKat rather than suffer Verizon's prehistoric, heavily modified, bloat laden, version of Lollipop. I cannot speak for the Verizon, Galaxy S4 users. It would be nice, as the rest of the world can, to be able to choose whether or not to update. Particularly, as in the case of the Verizon S5, that update cripples the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones