Galaxy S4 loses - drops bluetooth connection to Subaru OutbackSupport

Last Updated:

1. radman2020

radman2020 Well-Known Member

I have an S4 that has no issues with my audi bluetooth.. but loses connection with my 2013 Subaru Outback (with nav). The call isn't disconnected... but the bluetooth lets go. I have a note 3 which doesn't lose connection.

Anyone else with this issue?

Any workarounds?

I have already deleted and re-paired.

Advertisement
  2. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

You might try the app Bluetooth Auto Connect. I was having different issues with my Subaru, that the app seemed to fix (a Verizon update came in shortly after downloading that app, so I'm not 100% sure it fixed my problems).
  3. CyreneK

CyreneK Well-Known Member

Idk if this will help, but it did for me with my 2014 Forester. Settings, more, location services, my places, car. Here you can choose Bluetooth. Mine remains connected now. Hope this helps.
  4. kgreen169

kgreen169 New Member

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and 2013 Subaru Forester. I have the same exact issue. The phone bluetooth connects OK to the Navigation bluetooth, but continually disconnects/connects. Very annoying. I bought the new Forester so I could connect my phone to the car bluetooth. I have a hearing loss and it is very important that I get phone calls over the car speakers.

I did install the Bluetooth Auto Connect as suggested. It did disconnect once then stayed connected for a while. I will test this further on a longer drive.

I tried to find the Settings, more, location services, my places, car, bluetooth but could not find the option for location services on the Forester or Samsung phone. So no help there.

Will let you know if the Bluetooth Auto Connect works.

:confused:
  5. rags2rich

rags2rich New Member

Here is what fixed ours
    We have a 2013 Subaru Outback with Navigation and we have had the same issues with our Samsung S4's. Our bluetooth share would keep disconnecting and then connecting again. I found this online in a Subaru forum and I tried it this morning and it has not dropped all day long. Previously bluetooth share would stop at least 7-10 times on my way to work. This was originally written for a Subaru XV and the order of message/contacts acceptance for the Outback is a little different.
    1.Unpair your phone with your Subaru in Bluetooth settings. Go to Application manager on your phone and scroll over on the top to ALL. I think it is 3 swipes to the left. Scroll down to Bluetooth Share and click on clear data, clear cache. Turn off bluetooth on your phone, and restart your phone.
    2. Go to your car. Delete your Samsung from your cars Bluetooth and turn the key off.
    3. Turn on key on and start the process of pairing on your car navigation screen. Turn on bluetooth on your phone and scan for device. Click on CAR MULTIMEDIA and allow you phone to connect. BE READY! WATCH your screen on your phone and as soon as it asks you to allow access to messages, check the Do not ask me again and say CANCEL. Then when it asks to share your contacts, check, Do not ask me again and say OK. Your contacts should upload. You should be good to go.
    It supposedly has to do with the message compatability. So you won't be able have access to your messages over the bluetooth but your phone will stay connected. I paired my wife's phone this evening and it works as well. I will report back if there is a problem but from the looks of it, this was a fix.

Previous attempts with no success
    1. All day on phone with Verizon
    2. Most of the day on the phone with Samsung.
    3. Two hours of personal attention from a Verizon store manager trying to solve the problem. (also a S4 owner.)
    4. Subaru dealership replaced the Head Unit thinking it might be defective.
    5. Thoughts of trading the car in after a week of ownership.
    kjohnrussell and turbob2000 like this.
  6. kjohnrussell

kjohnrussell New Member

Did the trick! Thank you! Bothered me for a year.
  7. The1Metallian

The1Metallian Member

I thought it had worked for me, but it didn't. I have an S3 though and my Outback doesn't have navigation. I followed your instructions as much as possible considering the differences and the biggest one I can come up with is that my S3 doesn't prompt for access messages so I have no way to disable that. F'ing thing, I'm f'ing tired of this s***. What confuses me even more is that I didn't notice this as soon as I upgraded to 4.3 but later.
  8. cohenja

cohenja New Member

I was fine with my 2015 Subaru Outback and KitKat on my Galaxy S4. But Lollipop release broke it with the symptoms described.