• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

galaxy s4 message help??

valleyboy22

Feb 14, 2012
Hi all,

Come from ios back to android and now have a s4. Getting grips with it slowly but got a slight problem.
My contacts are all good until I try and send a message? When I select a contact to text their name comes up but that contact now has more than one number? Seems like its their old number that comes up to? I have synced face book etc so I guess thats what it is? How can I stop this from happening because its only showing this when trying to compose a text message?

Help please

If you have synced your contacts and one of the sources is out of date, naturally this is what will happen.

You can delete the old number in contacts or in the original source and sync again if you wish. You can also select one of the numbers as the default and then, if you swipe left on the contact, it will SMS the default number (if you swipe right it calls the default number).

Upvote 0
The only way to keep multiple numbers from appearing for a contact is to only have one number for the contact. Even if you set numbers to Work/Home/etc, the phone will still offer them as choices when composing a blank text. If the numbers are not appearing on the Contact Card for the person you're messaging, make sure that they haven't been synced from a hidden profile card on another program (Exchange/Outlook, G+, FB, etc). Contacts with multiple profile cards will usually have an icon for each app on their card, if they've automatically joined together.

With FB contacts, it's all or nothing. You cannot isolate them from any 1 feature of the phone. If you wish to get rid of them altogether, launch the FB app and in the settings change the contacts to Do Not Sync.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones