• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] Galaxy S4 Metro PCS Root Instructions

esuzy6a9.jpg

Upvote 0
Then why is it called m919n :0

danyvw and nuttmeg are both 100% correct.

If you take danyvw's advice and read just about any of the threads in this forum you'll find someone saying that what works on the Tmobile m919 also works on our m919n. If you read through the thread I posted you'll find that you are not the only newb experiencing some reluctance at rooting for the first time. The phones are almost identical except as nuttmeg said the Tmobile model has Tmobile crapwear on it and the Metropcs model has Metro crapwear on it. I dont know why they decided to create a different model number when the phones are so very similar and the companies are supposedly one, I guess that's just how corporate america does stuff.

In the mean time, most people that participate in this forum have used that exact root method with NO REPORTED ISSUES. As I said if you get stuck, you can ask for help or ask questions, someone will be happy to help.

or dont root....its up to you

Upvote 0
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post here first. If I don't get an answer, I'll create an OP.

If I sound gun-shy, it's because my only experience with rooting has been with a Sprint Samsung Epic a few years ago. Since that isn't a GSM network, I haven't dealt with carrier locks or SIM locks before, which I've been made to understand have nothing to do with rooting.

I thought I'd take my time rooting my S4, but I've just learned Samsung's about to push out 4.3 with KNOX and the only way to disable automatic updates is to root.

Can our resident experts send me to a thread or post with easy-not-to-bollox instructions?

The only thing I'll truly need from a ROM is the ability to stop automatic updates. Sound tweaks would be nice but aren't necessary. I use an external DAC anyway.

Upvote 0
The second post in this thread has a link to a different thread that has the easiest path to root for our phone. In a nutshell you need to flash a custom recovery via odin then flash superuser via that recovery. The link i mentioned in post 2 will take you to directions that are first time frendly (the last few posts in the thread). Lastly, the ota update to 4.3 wont happen without the stock recovery, which you overrite by installing the custom recovery to root the phone. It may try to download it but will ultimately fail cause it wont be able to flash it i understand.

Reactions: mike28 and nuttmeg
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones