• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help galaxy s4 motherboard swap.?

I have the us cellular s4 that cant be unlocked.. I couldnt find flashes and things like that so I was wondering if you swiitched it out would it just completely change the carrier.. I dont know much on that but if you know anyway to unlock us cellular or any other solutions.. or if what in saying isnt correct at all..

Upvote 0
I have the us cellular s4 that cant be unlocked.. I couldnt find flashes and things like that so I was wondering if you swiitched it out would it just completely change the carrier.. I dont know much on that but if you know anyway to unlock us cellular or any other solutions.. or if what in saying isnt correct at all..
I am surprised to hear that there is an S4 that cannot be unlocked but network locks are a software issue not hardware.

Added to which, replacing the motherboard would be very expensive. There has surely got to be a better solution than that.

Upvote 0
Well I was going to unlock it.. then when getting imei number it wasnt long enough and i did research, saw that the sch-r970 couldnt be unlocked.. but this bootloader where can I learn more.?
Try asking in the root sub-forum here.

You can find some of the information you need here http://galaxys4root.com/clockworkmodtwrp-recoveries/. This relates to replacing the bootloader with TWRP. Once you have done that, installing a 3rd party ROM is relatively straightforward.

There is also a guide here for the sch-r970 http://androidforums.com/us-cellular/742521-i-found-root-method-recovery-s4.html but for some reason this isn't in the S4 forum.

Installing 3rd party ROMs on phones isn't a trivial thing to do, but it's free and easier than replacing the motherboard by some margin.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones