• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S5 Camera Thread - ** Please Post Samples! **

Outdoor Shot.

Attachments

• 1397639026206.jpg
    1397639026206.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 239
Reactions: CafeKampuchia
Upvote 0
Haven't taken any great shots yet. Although someone pointed out to me today (it can be done in post with appropriate app I guess), that you can't do the colour enhancement thing where everything is grey scale except for chosen colour. Also, I thought I read somewhere that there is a camera app in the play store, or maybe Samsung app store that replaces the main camera app, does it have any differences?

Upvote 0
This is a couple of shots of some gorgeous homes that I passed yesterday while out on the job.

This guy is the inventor of the Electric Gate... wonder if his patents are still bring in money?

20140423_150945_zps7c06b7a1.jpg

20140423_150718_zps09174a7d.jpg

Can you see the car by the house? What brand/model is it? :rofl:

Load the big image and on each of them, crop down to just the house in the background. look at the detail that comes up. The S5's camera is no slouch.... and this while the truck was rolling past at 10 mph and just using the "click it now" soft button.

Darn it, Photobucket resized the darn thing down to 1024x576 I am uploading to YouSendIt now.

YouSendIt link:
https://www.yousendit.com/download/elNJeUNLbEpIcWNYRHRVag

Upvote 0
As a professional photographer, I'm picky. I use the Nikon D3 and f/2.8 lenses for my wildlife and nature photography. I use the Nikon D5200 for the easy stuff when it is not important. I may just start leaving the D5200 home as this S5 is doing so well. Here is two indoor shots I got yesterday at Target. I saw where Samsung and Iphone are going ahead with elaborated displays. Saleslady there said she is selling more Samsungs than iPhones, but not by much. She expects that to change when they unveil the iPhone S6. The S5 is pretty darn good shooting indoors:

TargetSamsung-1k.jpg

TargetiPhone5s-1k.jpg

Upvote 0
As a professional photographer, I'm picky. I use the Nikon D3 and f/2.8 lenses for my wildlife and nature photography. I use the Nikon D5200 for the easy stuff when it is not important. I may just start leaving the D5200 home as this S5 is doing so well. Here is two indoor shots I got yesterday at Target. I saw where Samsung and Iphone are going ahead with elaborated displays. Saleslady there said she is selling more Samsungs than iPhones, but not by much. She expects that to change when they unveil the iPhone S6. The S5 is pretty darn good shooting indoors:

TargetSamsung-1k.jpg

TargetiPhone5s-1k.jpg

What settings did you use? The first one looks a lot crisper than the second. Both good pics though for indoors. Still trying to figure out the best settings myself.

Upvote 0
It don't do so bad outside either.

This pix was shot w/o moonlight against a rather dull background. Oklahoma native stone wall on the house. Red pavers for the graveled area and the wife's knick knacks for her to enjoy.

She is wheelchair bound, so I have to help her improve her nearby surroundings.

This was taken the first night I had it in my hands, default settings w/stock camera. I wasn't smart enough to know how to use the GS5 yet. Just turned the flash 'ON' and clicked the shutter button.

... I have a lot of interior shots of the house taken w/o flash that really surprised me and totally made BullTerds out of the so called 'Expert Reviewers' who claimed this camera is totally useless indoors.... but my wife would kill me if I advertised my sloppy housekeeping :rolleyes: so you don't get to see those :p

Attachments

• Feature S5 moonless night.jpg
    Feature S5 moonless night.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 256
Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
But a recent news reported that the Galaxy S5 has a big camera defect. Samsung admitted the problem, and Samsung offers free replacement if the S5 has the camera problem.

I have also seen those news reports and this forum has reports of them also. Seems to be a shutter issue when the camera app is not being used.

But, the only problem with my GS5 so far is my lack of knowing every nook and cranny of its' capabilities.

I take a lot of those "news reports" with a generous dose of Epsom Salts, because the tiniest of details is totally blown out of this world's proportions by those who want to detract from the GS5.

I feel that "most of the reported issues" are from folks who want to try and kill a good phone's reputation. Apparently a few cameras have had the loose shutter part, but not mine.

I have over 50 years experience in the world of electronics maintenance/repairs on good equipment and bad equipment. All of it had detractors at some point in its' life.

Until I see it for myself and can make my own "informed judgement call", I just read it, file it in the bookmarks for "later perusal" if needed.

So far, this GS5 in my hands has been a good solid performer and bravo to Samsung for resisting the BS folks who wanted 32 kitchen sinks built into the thing. I think it is just pretty much "just right" the way it is.

Everything I need for "everyday use" is there, and it works well. I have added 3 or 4 apps to tweak it a tiny bit. A better alarm clock comes to mind.

All of my issues have been resolved by getting on this forum and asking questions and getting good answers.

And a double High Five to Samsung for allowing me to Disable Anything I Don't Want... Which I have done to most of their supplied apps.

Reactions: mcm180 and jack58
Upvote 0
I'm with Sprint and my S5 camera died. Tried turning on the camera app and nothing happened. Then 5 seconds later, trying to open the camera app again, it said camera failed. Brought it into a Corp Sprint store and had the techs look at it. They replaced it on the spot. But since I am now past the 14 day window I am hoping the camera doesn't die on this one.

I didn't beat on the camera at all. I used burst shots a few times and took regular pictures. I'm happy with the phone and the camera is very good. Just don't want to go through the hassle again.

Upvote 0
But a recent news reported that the Galaxy S5 has a big camera defect. Samsung admitted the problem, and Samsung offers free replacement if the S5 has the camera problem.

Not sure about the big defect part.

Any defect that hits any of us are big to those affected. I got hit by a rare bug on another model but it was massive to me personally.

Clearly, some lot of manufactured SGS5 models have a defective camera.

Unfortunately, the sales and distribution model today is test some, then ship, then deal with returns because that's cheaper.

I can quote lots of models from lots of makers who have had those reports.

Not saying that I approve - far from it - just that it's a common deal, driven by economy of scale.

My hat's off to Samsung for owning it and agreeing to replace problem units without a lot of hassle.

Lemons can happen at any time, whether new phones or washing machines. Exercise your consumer protections, that's what they're there for. ;) :)

Upvote 0
The real test for me is next week when I go to Disneyland with my wife.
I will be leaving the Nikons at home and just using the S5 as there is a LOT of walking around at Disneyland.
But it will be a good test for the S5 camera as I will take lots of pics.
My wife got a new iPhone 5S the same time I got my S5. So there is a lot of friendly banter about who phone is better. The S5 or 5S... gonna be fun.
My wife is only 5' so with small hands the iPhone is perfect for her.

Upvote 0
I'm with Sprint and my S5 camera died. Tried turning on the camera app and nothing happened. Then 5 seconds later, trying to open the camera app again, it said camera failed. Brought it into a Corp Sprint store and had the techs look at it. They replaced it on the spot. But since I am now past the 14 day window I am hoping the camera doesn't die on this one.

I didn't beat on the camera at all. I used burst shots a few times and took regular pictures. I'm happy with the phone and the camera is very good. Just don't want to go through the hassle again.

14 days doesn't matter when it's a defect. The phone is under warranty for that. The 14 days is in case you don't like the phone.

Reactions: mcm180
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones