• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S5 on Virgin Mobile?

for me currently no, not at this time, i just got my s3 pretty recently

my brother who also has an s3 has been looking into them and found pretty much all over the web says there not worth it as there pretty much identical to the s4 just a few things here and there are different

also someone i believe on here also mentioned that the s4's blocking of custom roms and recovery was increased over the S3, and that the S5 is rumored to be pretty much locked down

of course that will most likely change once users get there hands on it but for me personally being able to load a custom recovery and rom are part of my phone decision making process, if it cant do it or if it requires me to jump thru hoops to do it, ill just go with a different phone lol

Reactions: Darien153
Upvote 0
I won't just yet, depending on the pricepoint, which I suppose will be roughly the same as S3 when it came out for Virgin, give or take 100$.

As for "locked down" HA. It's already been rooted and Chainfire is having fun showing Samsung that they can't protect anything. The only thing that stops us, is KNOX, which will be dealt with in due time.

ROMs and Rooting is already available for S5. ;)

Upvote 0
If anything, i hope they get the old HTC one or the New one, I love those phones so damn much!

The Specs of the M8 are just a tad bit behind the S5, noticeably for someone who cares about specs (me), but HTC hasn't gone nuts with locking their phone down like Samsung has. They allow unlocking of the bootloader, IIRC, but I heard the battery isnt removable? Could be wrong.

Also, shell out 600+ and get the M8 completely unlocked from HTC and throw it on Virgin Mobiles network. ;)

Upvote 0
I've had my S3 since November and I'm not at all tempted by the S5. When the S3 does everything I want, I don't see the point in upgrading to something newer and much more expensive. Guess I've been on a tight budget long enough that I no longer have that "early adopter" impulse :)

When I do get a new phone I'm hoping there will be a newer HTC to consider getting - after having the chance to compare, I'm finding I prefer the way they do things. But who knows? Something else may become available that will change my mind yet again ;)

Upvote 0
hiya OP; i float between the boost and virgin forums; i made a post there called "Payment Options for Samsung Galaxy S5 + April 11th Launch Date" if you want to check that out. it has been denounced that this device wont come to prepaid on the 11th, but sometime around the 2nd week of may. let me know what u think. i currently have a F3 on virgin right now, but considering switching to boost, i havent made up my mind yet, but i definitely will be getting this phone!

Upvote 0
I won't just yet, depending on the pricepoint, which I suppose will be roughly the same as S3 when it came out for Virgin, give or take 100$.

As for "locked down" HA. It's already been rooted and Chainfire is having fun showing Samsung that they can't protect anything. The only thing that stops us, is KNOX, which will be dealt with in due time.

ROMs and Rooting is already available for S5. ;)

Well the issue with locking down the phones comes from 2 directions, the phone manufacturers and laws, the last round of electronic laws passed the phone companies and manufacturers tried to make it a federal law that rooting and custom Roms and unlocking would be punishable by law

They were actually able to pass the phone unlocking law due to all the ppl who bought phones like the iPhone then just resold them to make a profit

If they ever allow the companies to pass a law regarding root and custom Roms I'll just put my phone in a draw and forget I ever had it lol

Kinda like somehow Microsoft was able to weazle in a law packaged in another law that states even opening your Xbox console is punishable by something wild like no less then 10 years in jail, they then tries to sue a man who was flashing xboxs by using his customers as key witnesses lol the judge laughed at Microsoft and threw the case out but it still is in the laws now lol

Also regarding Knox, its already been proven to be a weakness in Samsung, that's why I was hoping they just can it but they won't lol, there have been articles about Knox devices being malware bombed and that Knox was created for gov. Ppl to be able to use instead of having 2 phones yet Samsung phones are banned at gov. Meetings cause there not secure lol

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about upgrading. I've had in S3 just about since a month it came out. So I kind of want something new. As for Knox, yea I'm not really that worried about it at all because there will be people who can find ways around it.

I've had my Evo V for almost 2 years, and I'm definitely due for an upgrade. I was thinking about picking up the GS3, but I guess that's now a moot point with the GS5 just around the corner. And I don't think Knox is a big deal either. Just give ROM development a little more time to deal with it.

Upvote 0
I'll be avoiding the S5 for quite some time. I don't want Knox, and I also don't want to pay $600+ for a prepaid phone. It should be $400-ish this Christmas. I'll look to strike then, if Knox is dealt with by then.

The manufacturers and carriers can keep pushing, but we'll push back. I'll start voting with my wallet soon enough. Lock the phone down, I'll buy elsewhere.

Those Nexus phones are starting to look nicer everyday. We need to find a way to get one on VM ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones