• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S6 edge magnetic?

Hi,
Just made a strange discovery, bit random, but I've realised there's a magnetic part on the handset. Had a penny and it stuck to the handset in the bottom left hand corner of the back. Just wondering what component is here that causes it? Unless it's an induced magnetic field caused from the current running through wires?
Nothing serious, I'm just curious.

The magnet is from the speaker.

Speakers use a permanent mangnet to make sound. A modulated attractive force between it and an electromagnet built into a diaphram causes the diaphram to vibrate (make sound). The modulation is caused by the electronic voice signal driving the electromagnet.

Upvote 0
The magnet is from the speaker.

Speakers use a permanent mangnet to make sound. A modulated attractive force between it and an electromagnet built into a diaphram causes the diaphram to vibrate (make sound). The modulation is caused by the electronic voice signal driving the electromagnet.
Ah that would make sense. Thanks, knew I wasn't going mad haha!
Just out of curiosity, why does this not work on the S4, has the speaker changed because of it's new position?

Upvote 0
Ah that would make sense. Thanks, knew I wasn't going mad haha!
Just out of curiosity, why does this not work on the S4, has the speaker changed because of it's new position?
Because the S4 used a piezoelectric speaker, like most cell phones, that is today somehow replaced with an electrodynamic speaker with a permanent magnet strong enough to hold an English penny through the case, according to Rob.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+S6+Edge+Teardown/39158

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones