• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Tab 7.7 vs Tab 2 7.0

One is a premier product, the other for the mass market. As ever a little extra performance, a little smaller footprint, additional functionality above the norm and above average build quality/fit & finish always add up to a signifiant increase in pricing.

The 7.7 most compelling feature is the hires Super AMOLED Plus display, the Tab 7.7 also has APT-X which delivers near wired performance over Bluetooth (compatible RX). If the $$$ are not an issue go with the 7.7 as it`s one of the nicest tablet`s on the market and best in class at present, if you are cost conscious go with the Tab 2, it will likely get the job done, the only cavet is if you try a 7.7 first your going to want that Tab to be the one in your hand...

I went with the 7.7 and will wait on ICS, it`s simply in a different league compared to other tablets, fast, sleek, looks and feels fantastic.

Upvote 0
One is a premier product, the other for the mass market. As ever a little extra performance, a little smaller footprint, additional functionality above the norm and above average build quality/fit & finish always add up to a signifiant increase in pricing.

The 7.7 most compelling feature is the hires Super AMOLED Plus display, the Tab 7.7 also has APT-X which delivers near wired performance over Bluetooth (compatible RX). If the $$$ are not an issue go with the 7.7 as it`s one of the nicest tablet`s on the market and best in class at present, if you are cost conscious go with the Tab 2, it will likely get the job done, the only cavet is if you try a 7.7 first your going to want that Tab to be the one in your hand...

I went with the 7.7 and will wait on ICS, it`s simply in a different league compared to other tablets, fast, sleek, looks and feels fantastic.
\

This is exactly what I'm debating on right now. I've held the 7.7 and it's really the perfect size, and that screen is beautiful, but in the US Verizon is the only place to get it right now, and I'm really only looking to use it on wi-fi. A lot of the Ebay auctions for international wi-fi only or unlocked 3g versions are overpriced, and even the reasonable ones are $530+.

My main purpose for getting a tablet is for watching video and basic web browsing/e-mail while traveling, as well as some GPS standalone for a couple trips I have planned. I may be leaning toward the lower-cost Galaxy Tab 2 or a 7.0 plus if I can find one around the same price.

Upvote 0
\

This is exactly what I'm debating on right now. I've held the 7.7 and it's really the perfect size, and that screen is beautiful, but in the US Verizon is the only place to get it right now, and I'm really only looking to use it on wi-fi. A lot of the Ebay auctions for international wi-fi only or unlocked 3g versions are overpriced, and even the reasonable ones are $530+.

My main purpose for getting a tablet is for watching video and basic web browsing/e-mail while traveling, as well as some GPS standalone for a couple trips I have planned. I may be leaning toward the lower-cost Galaxy Tab 2 or a 7.0 plus if I can find one around the same price.

I bought mine locally in Malaysia for around $550 with a decent screen protector. The 7.7 is the better tablet the only question is by how much the display is superb, and the battery life colosal. The Tab 2 7" biggest attraction is pricing and of course ICS, nothing more. I only paid a premium of $130 for the 7.7 over the 7 so for me it wasn't a big jump. The only negative I have with the 7.7 is ICS, or more to the point the lack of it...

Upvote 0
Yes this is an official Samsung distribution. Tab 7.7 around MYR 1700, Tab 7.0 + around MYR 1250, Tab 2 is yet to be released, although I expect soon. Pricing in general for Tablets/Computers is very good here, you can literally save 1000`s on the high end gear just check the price of a highend MacBook Pro vers the cost in the UK

Malay was a nice touch, only I am a Brit :p English, German & Chinese, Malay Bahasa I am working on :party:

Upvote 0
Malay was a nice touch, only I am a Brit :p English, German & Chinese, Malay Bahasa I am working on :party:

I'm malay in UK so its the other way around :D Its Bahasa Malaysia :p

I know, all kinds of electronics are dirt cheap in Malaysia. You can't beat it on price. Some of the key components are manufactured there. I'm dreading buying any electronics in UK, its expansive! Same value as US only different currency symbol....

Upvote 0
I'm malay in UK so its the other way around :D Its Bahasa Malaysia :p

I know, all kinds of electronics are dirt cheap in Malaysia. You can't beat it on price. Some of the key components are manufactured there. I'm dreading buying any electronics in UK, its expansive! Same value as US only different currency symbol....

Irony at it`s very best :congrats:

Prices in the UK simply scare me, I left back in 82, that being said you can get some goot deals out of the UK so long as you can get the Tax off...

Upvote 0
Guess I'll hold off the 7.7 for now and get it when I go back home. Miss the food too :p

On another note, Any official ICS in sight for this device?

Not so far, I know ICS is coming just a question of when. Pricing in the UK will likely run you MYR 200 -300 more, Amazon (eXpansys UK) have some now for 399 sterling, with an RRP of 661 Sterling (MYR 3273) which is completely ridiculous.

By waiting you may also be able to get a 7.7 that is natively ICS and skip the upgrade process, as from what I know the upgrade is far from simple and the likely cause of the delay. All the same the 7.7 is worth it :cool:

Upvote 0
Not so far, I know ICS is coming just a question of when. Pricing in the UK will likely run you MYR 200 -300 more, Amazon (eXpansys UK) have some now for 399 sterling, with an RRP of 661 Sterling (MYR 3273) which is completely ridiculous.

By waiting you may also be able to get a 7.7 that is natively ICS and skip the upgrade process, as from what I know the upgrade is far from simple and the likely cause of the delay. All the same the 7.7 is worth it :cool:

I've seen the prices at EXPANSYS and they are expansive ;) Lowyat has better prices. Thanks. I think I will wait for a native ICS tablet with S AMOLED screen. Maybe skip this one entirely. Upgrading ICS on the sgs2 was simple though nothing much has change since Touchwiz corrupted it a lot.

Upvote 0
I've seen the prices at EXPANSYS and they are expansive ;) Lowyat has better prices. Thanks. I think I will wait for a native ICS tablet with S AMOLED screen. Maybe skip this one entirely. Upgrading ICS on the sgs2 was simple though nothing much has change since Touchwiz corrupted it a lot.

My only concern would be that Samsung may drop the premium Tablets in favour of the Tab 2 which is lesser spec`d and shoot for the lower end of the market, not wanting to take on Apple`s iPad head to head. This would be a shame as anyone who has held a 7.7 in the hand wil testify to just how good it looks & feels, certainly surpasses my original iPad.

I also like the upcoming Asus Transformer Pad Infinity, only I just wish Android would move off Fat 32 and the 4Gb file size limit as the Infinity`s full HD display would be fabulous for movies. There is still a lot to be said for iPad, only after a year or so of use it just became too limiting for my taste, Android is not as polished yet it offers so much more potential and as much as I love the Mac and OS X, Apples mobile devices feel too restricted and clone like. I also have a Galaxy Note and as close as it is to the Tab 7.7 I have both devices set up very differently, even though I can easily leave one at home and still have full coverage of my needs if I want.

I guess we are all still waiting on the perfect tablet, so far in the smaller form factor the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7. is the winner, and ICS will only add to the experience :cool:

Upvote 0
Yeah..... but if you wait another few months there will be an EVEN better one out. ;)

LOL. A nexus version will always be better. No need to flash, and instant updates (up to a point). Also Asus themselves don't skin their products crazy. I also believe that for normal everyday stuff quad core is more than enough. Even the dual core sgs2 seems quite adequate for future. Higher specs are just for games. I also believe that further updates after ICS will just be minor updates.

I waited 2 years to my first smartphone (SGS2), back when I saw a demonstration of google turn-by-turn navigation on some Motorola phone. Will not be changing phones until this dies.

2 months is nothing really :rolleyes: I'm still using the same wrist watch I bought 10 years ago though I doubt the sgs2 or the tablet will last that long. Looks like I will not get that pebble watch after all. After my Timex dies then I will get one ;)

Upvote 0
Made up my mind. Going with the nexus tablet instead. Vanilla android. Google and asus selling at cost. Surely this is the bargain of the year :D

It's an excellent tablet for the price, they'll sell an absolute cartload. Jealous of vanilla android and timely updates. Downers are wifi only and no microsd, the latter I personally couldn't live without. People say cloud cloud cloud, to which I say no no no! Mobile networks aren't up to the task going through tunnels, and lots of places are immune to steady stable phone signals. I’m from the UK and travel a lot, use 3, have unlimited data and their HSPA+ is very good ime. Good luck streaming high bitrate video though. Anything less than a 720p mkv is a travesty these days, especially on a gorgeous samoled+ display, same applies to the quality IPS display of the Nexus 7.

That's not to put it down, it's a fantastic tablet for the price, it's just not targeted at me. I'm delighted they're releasing it, it'll bring lots of people to android tablets, meaning better tablet apps and probably a fair few targeted at the form factor. Bravo Google.

Upvote 0
Hey if you're interested in buying a used 7.7 there is one up on Swappa (Android) Buy and sell gently used Android devices right now. I've been trying to sell it for about a month. I paid like $550 ish from negri for it a few months ago. It's in perfect condition still.

I can't sell the damn thing because there aren't alot of people looking for them. Anyway I have it up for like 350 on there if you're interested.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones