Galaxy tab slow and sluggishGeneral

1. EricAtUNC

EricAtUNC Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is just me or what, but this tablet really seems sluggish. From moving between home screens to bringing up the status bar thing in the bottom right corner, to clicking the bottom bar that shows the standard apps that apparently can not be changed. The keyboard seems funny too, when i click in a sentence to edit, the cursor jumps around.

I turned off animations and motion stuff, nothing helps. Anyone else experiencing this?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rumbum

Rumbum Member

Yes, I've noticed it a lot with mine. keeping up on current running apps and closing them out helps out some. You would think with the amount we paid for these things, they would run almost as smooth as an ipad.
  3. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Have you updated to TouchWiz UX? I definitely found this to be the case on stock 3.1. Are you running a lot of widgets? The text entry problem is well known, though if you swap out the Samsung keyboard for another, it seems to disappear (I use SwiftKey, excellent app worth the $3). I think Honeycomb is still in its infancy and these are known issues.
  4. EricAtUNC

Yeah I updated TouchWiz, it was the first thing I did after I exchanged out the first one that didn't work. I only have 2 email widgets and the weather widget. I tried different keyboards and others did work better. I was just shocked to see how slow and stuttered some of the things were on the screen, especially after reading all the great things about it.
  5. Tware

Tware Well-Known Member

happened to me last night (with TUX). Pretty sure I had some javascript going crazy on a webpage, even after minimizing it. It was fine within 10 mins or so and hasnt done it again. it did concern me for a bit. Now that the browser controls are hidden, its hard to see whats going in within the browser.
  6. EricAtUNC

The more I use the sgt now, the faster it seems to be, not sure what's up with that.
  7. 5280Man

5280Man Well-Known Member

All these stories about problems with the update is keeping me from doing it. I absolutely LOVE this tablet without the update. As of right now I'm not touching the update until I hear that the bugs are worked out and it actually helps the tab run smoother and adds functions without problems. I must say, I am a little disappointed to hear about these problems with the update. An update from the company that built it. I will say that I'm a little puzzled that some people have the problem and some do not. I find that interesting that on two identical, new, devices they can have two opposite outcomes. I understand it on phones or computers that have different programs, possibly viruses, different roms, etc... But this is on tablets that are brand new out of the box with no other variables. Can the update and system be THAT inconsistent??
  8. EricAtUNC

I'm running ADWLauncher EX now and it's a huge improvement. There's still a little lag when tapping the time or the bottom toolbar, but I don't use those that much.
  9. There is nothing wrong with the hardware. It is Google who refuses to fix hardware acceleration for ALL android OS UI.

At this time ever Android OS UI is being software rendered by the CPU. This is the main reason why Apple products have UIs which are so much smoother and lag-free. Apple uses hardware acceleration on its UI.
    breadnatty08 likes this.
  10. 5280Man

5280Man Well-Known Member

Evan. Are you sure? I thought Android incorporated hardware acceleration in the more recent versions? Can anyone else comment on this?
  11. chiefstang

chiefstang New Member

Apple products seem smoother because they are only displaying icons...no Widgets, notifications, live wallpapers, multipule browsers etc. After the touchwiz update and all the previously mentioned running mine feels just as smooth.
  12. substring

substring Well-Known Member

Apple iOS is smoother because they pre-cache everything. Also, iOS does not do multi-tasking.

I never understand why Apple lovers are visiting Android forums so often??? :confused:
  13. Brian_83

Brian_83 Well-Known Member

Actually my iPhone 4 seems slow compared to this thing. They aren't all that quick.
  14. substring

substring Well-Known Member

I don't have any sluggish issue at all. The screen responds quick fast.
  15. mikeyd08

mikeyd08 Member

To all the people having problems with touchwiz pdate. I'm just curious if you followed the directions and removed all screen widgets before doing update? Myself, I did a factory reset, and then did touchwiz and then reinstalled apps. I feel its running much better and the typing lag is gone.
  16. RajCaj

RajCaj Well-Known Member

I just picked up a Galaxy Tab 10.1 last weekend and found that the TouchWiz update wan't pre-installed. I tried to update using the option in Settings, but it says I have all current updates.

I did some reading and found that the update was causing people problems and Samsung pulled the update.

Has it become available again?
  17. UKseagull

UKseagull Well-Known Member

Not that I'm aware of.