Galaxy vs Droid XGeneral

Last Updated:

1. giper54

giper54 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Let the debate begin. I have never been too fond of how calls sound from a Motorola phone. I have never owned a Samsung so I can't compare the two. I like the size of the Droid X but I think it will be too narrow. Plus I will save a lot of money by having 3 lines on AT&T instead of 2 lines on att and one on Verizon.

Advertisement
    androidized likes this.
  2. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

This isn't even a comparison. You're comparing one of the top Android phones to a mid-range phone.

3. hanano17

hanano17 Well-Known Member

Which one is supposed to be midrange? You do realize the Droid X is the new one coming out in about a month or so, with the 4.3" screen (also known as the Shadow/Xtreme)...

4. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

Oops I was thinking the Droid 2 with the 750mhz fail processor. Sorry.

5. hanano17

Yeah, I don't care for the Droid 2 either. I still would rather get the SGS over the Droid X too. Just hope Verizon gets it sooner than later, my tech addiction is itching for it. The Droid X will probably pretty nice though.

6. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

I think we should wait until the processor is confirmed before comparing the two phones. Sure it has the 4.3inch screen, but that won't matter if they don't use the Snapdragon. And even if it does use the Snapdragon, it still won't be as good as the Hummingbird, but yea, I'd like to see more specs of the Droid X before comparing them.

7. hanano17

Droid X by Motorola | Android Phone Fans

If you click the link next to the processor on the spec list, it shows it above the SGS (listed as the Shadow). If you run the test now, it shows that it is run without 2.2, so it "seems" to be faster on that test, but who knows for sure yet. Either way, i'm sure it'll be plenty fast. Does that make me want it over an SGS, nope. The only spec listed that i'll be somewhat jealous about is the camera flash.

8. giper54

giper54 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Here is what I got from the Motorola Shadow forum. Thanks you Rimzy for posting this info orginally:

WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR:

OFFICIAL NAME: DROID X

*** Tablet form-factor
    *** "4.3" TFT FWVGA screen, 854

9. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not really a fan of the camera flash. My BH2 had one, and I rarely found that I used it for taking pictures at night. But that is just me. I don't think the quality of pictures used with flashes on phones is all the great either.

Again, that's my personal preference. All signs are pointing to the Galaxy S being the top smartphone of all carriers, so it really boils down to your individual preferences.

10. doctajay

doctajay Well-Known Member

To be honest, the droid x is making me consider moving from at&t to verizon. First I feel like at&t is doing a piss poor job of getting high end android phones while verizon is laying them on thick. Also, I am thinking of build quality. Everyone has commented on how plasticy the SGS feels. in addition there is no flash which regardless of me hardly using it on my n1, I think it shows lack of insight on samsungs part. plus it seems like the sgs will come to at&t 2 months after it comes tmobile and verizon, so its harder for me to wait.

11. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

While VZW has great coverage, don't forget that they can't do data and voice simultaneously. That's probably coming one of these days, but there isn't anything solid that points to them having it anytime soon.

Whether or not that's important to you, I'm not sure, just letting you know. It's still better than AT&T's fail capped plans.

12. zmartfone

zmartfone Member

Well I think that the only thing that the Droid X is better from the SGS is the camera with flash and the HDMI out.
    I cant see how it can be better than the SGS!

13. Smg

Smg Well-Known Member

All phones will have advantages and disadvantages.

But we should wait until theres a confirmed spec before comparing.

As far as i can tell though:

Motorola X

Better Camera and a Flash.

Bigger Screen.

HDMI Out.

Slightly Thinner.

But it won't have a Super Amoled screen and it might not have DLNA or DivX/XviD Support or Video Call Camera etc.

As for people mentioning the build quality it does'nt just come down to whether the phone is made of metal or plastic some plastic phones can be better put together than metal phones.

I think the reviews keep mentioning the fact its plastic because they probably feel a phone like this probably deserves metal but none have said it has bad build quality which is what people are interpreting it as.

14. EliC

EliC Well-Known Member

Droid X is to big!!! Companies need to be careful with the trend towards larger and larger screens.

15. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

The Droid X is actually the exact same thinness as the Galaxy S actually.

Also, with the Galaxy S Pro added to the mix, I wonder how it stacks up against the X.

16. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say better camera. If there's one thing Samsung is actually very good at, it's making phone cameras with good quality. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 5mpx actually produced better quality pictures than the 8mpx.

17. Lewey22B

Lewey22B Member

But then they spoil it with no effort at a flash, i know just an LED isn't much but come on. Give us some source of light!

Am i just being picky? Dithering over a gorgeous phone in the Galaxy S because of a light bulb or is it resonable when spending about

18. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

19. Lewey22B

Lewey22B Member

Yeah, to me its more of a night out sorta situation. Instead of having to carry a camera, having a fairly decent phone camera + flash can really pay off.

Suppose this leads to the Droid X, hope it comes to UK so i can have a feel for the thing. Seeing the Galaxy S in carphone Warehouse it already seems pretty big

20. Smg

Smg Well-Known Member

If i was you i would wait for the Motorola Milestone XT720 it sounds like it will be out in the uk next month and its a Android phone with a Xenon Flash.

21. Lewey22B

Lewey22B Member

Thats been on my radar for a while too,

22. Smg

Smg Well-Known Member

23. pw-man

pw-man Well-Known Member

24. pw-man

pw-man Well-Known Member

25. EliC

EliC Well-Known Member

Like I said, way to big!