gallery keeps crashing...Support

1. ackoolness

ackoolness Well-Known Member

did a search and didnt find anything relating to my issue...

I installed a program (photofun) and i regret it. i tried it out with one pic and when i went to the gallery to view it, it would just force close when i would scroll.

So i uninstalled the program but when i enter the gallery, pick a folder, and try to scroll, then it will force close. cannot scroll at all bcuz it will force close.

heres what i tried:

-rebooting (countless times)
    -unmounted SD card
    -deleted dcim/.thumbnails
    -reinstalled said program, cleared cache, force closed, then uninstalled

unfortunately still have this force close issue with gallery. any suggestions from you android super geeks? :eek:

droidx running 2.1 unrooted, btw.

Advertisement
    :
  2. ackoolness

3. teknonoob

teknonoob Member

4. Jayme

Jayme Well-Known Member

I just started having this issue this morining. I didnt install any gallery apps though. I will search through the other threads to see if the issue has been resovled.
  5. Jayme

Jayme Well-Known Member

Tried the various fixes nothing worked... :(
    Downloaded 3D gallery 'till 2.2 comes out. I hope 2.2 fixes the problem.
  6. androy

androy Well-Known Member

Same thing just happened to me. Very strange..

I didn't install anything new since it started happening. What I did do though is try and edit a pic, the next time I went to scroll it crashed. Now it crashes every time in vertical view, horizontal scrolling still works though.
  7. Screwy

Screwy New Member

My wife had some very similar issues with her phone too. The only thing different was that her phone would lock up hard while scrolling through the gallery. She didn't install any photo apps either. It would happen whenever she'd scroll through the camera roll or come across some pics in the full gallery view.

I set the usb to work as a removable drive when it was connected to a Windows computer. The phone would lock up and crash windows explorer on WinXP SP3 or Vista 64 if you tried to browse it there though. The last ditch effort was to use the command prompt to copy the photos off of the SD card. Of the 164 photos/videos on there I was able to recover 155 of them before we reformatted the card. That seemed to work for a few days but now the phone is back to locking up when using the camera every third or fourth time and the gallery is back to locking the phone up again too. A new twist to add to it as well is every so often when the screen is locked, it won't come out of lock. You gotta pull the battery.......

Boot the phone with the SD card from mine in there or without one at all and it works fine. And put the card into my phone and it performs the same as her phone. We're off to the VZW store today to try to get a new card since it's been like this since day 1.
  8. Jayme

Jayme Well-Known Member

Please let us know if the new card works.

thanks
  9. ackoolness

I just came back from my vacationm so couldnt update.

I removed all of my pics and took about 200 more and have not been able to duplicate this issue. Its very strange but hopefully it doesn't happen again or that at least fixes it.
  10. ackoolness

I just came back from my vacationm so couldnt update.

I removed all of my pics and took about 200 more and have not been able to duplicate this issue. Its very strange but hopefully it doesn't happen again or that at least fixes it.
  11. Fix for stock android gallery crash

Sometimes, after syncing items to your Android phone's storage card, the stock gallery application will start acting like it's force-closing immediately it's opened.

Here is how to fix it without having to back-up your SD card and format it, then restore.

Settings > Applications > Manage Applications
    click "All" applications tab

"Clear Data" on Media Storage
    "Clear Data" on Gallery

back out to Settings > SD card & phone storage

Unmount SD card

Once the SD card is unmounted, you should power-off your phone.

when the OS reboots, open the stock gallery application

The gallery will display "loading Media files" and a quick toast saying 'Loading' will fade off the screen, and the busy icon will display in the gallery's chrome. The main display of the gallery will show a default icon for media files.

It will take some time to rescan your photos and videos, but you will have your stock android gallery working again.
    MX_1, jzk, Nemesiis and 12 others like this.
  12. baberz

baberz Well-Known Member

little late buddy.
  13. mulveyr

mulveyr Active Member

Except when it doesn't. Mine had been crashing, I had tried this, but the only thing that ended up fixing it was a factory reset.
  14. AirGibson

AirGibson New Member

This worked perfectly for me. Many thanks. I had the issue where Gallery would immediately close every time I started it. It now works normally after following these steps.
  15. jammypack

jammypack New Member

That worked great! Fixed my gallery crash no problem. Thanks!
  16. JTBSRT8

JTBSRT8 New Member

Ok i had the same problem with my DX after going root. My solution was to install a 3rd party gallery (gallery++) and to completely remove the stock gallery from the phone all together.

You will require root for this, and an app called terminal emulator.

An easy root access tutorial can be found here: DROID2 Rooting Method Works for DROIDX Running Froyo - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

After you have achieved root access open your terminal and type following commands as is.

su
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    cd /system/app
    rm MediaGallery.apk

Go to Setting > applications > manage applications > force close terminal emulator

restart terminal emulator

su
    mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

now reboot and enjoy never having to see the stock gallery again.
    Frisco likes this.
  17. redifrogger

redifrogger Well-Known Member

Thank you pixelsyndicate!! that fixed my gallery!!
  18. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Good stuff, and great first post, JTBSRT8.

This needs to be linked to in the Droid X All Things Root Rooting Guide sticky thread.
  19. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Bad idea.

Don't remove it. It might cause future OTAs to fail.

You should either rename the file to .bak or something or better yet, freeze it using Titanium. That way, you can easily recover the file should a system update require it to be there.
  20. JTBSRT8

JTBSRT8 New Member

true in that case it would be

su
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    cd /system/app
    cp MediaGallery.apk /system/app/MediaGallery.bak
    rm MediaGallery.apk

Go to Setting > applications > manage applications > force close terminal emulator

restart terminal emulator

su
    mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

now reboot and enjoy never having to see the stock gallery again.
  21. fred525

fred525 New Member

Worked for me too!

Thanks!
  22. glockman

glockman Member

Thanks! Worked for me today.
  23. mizmellyjelly

mizmellyjelly Member

This won't delete everything off my SD card will it? And apps that I saved on the card as well?
  24. Crumm

Crumm Well-Known Member

This worked on a Milestone X running 2.2.2 Thanks for the very helpful post..
  25. mmarti16

mmarti16 Well-Known Member

this worked for me..."TEAM Pixelsyndicate F#$K yea!!"