Gallery not working

Last Updated:

1. n0m0n

n0m0n Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 8, 2009
    Can someone please share how Gallery works?
    I have on my card a folder that I created Pictures.
    Within that folder I have created sub folders:
    Picture ID
    Wallpaper... with a total 115 pictures
    Well I noticed that in a folder called DCIM, there is a folder called .thumbnails, which seems to be copying the pictures(some 42 pics) from the Picture folder.

My main issue is that when I tap on Gallery it opens a black screen with folders that remain blank and nothing...

I am forced to power down because after 5 minutes the Droid is so sluggish its not usable.

Should I be deleting the folders that I created?
    If so where do I put my pictures?

Thank you

2. esmith818

esmith818 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    I have to agree with JW on this one. I have been emailing wallpaper images to myself (more convenient than mounting the SD card every time I find one I like), and then using AndroZip to move them from the Downloads directory to the Wallpapers directory.

If I then long-press on the desktop and opt to change my wallpaper from the Gallery, I don't see my images in the Wallpapers folder, but rather in the Downloads section. If I apply one of them, Gallery is obviously using a thumbnail as the resulting wallpaper looks like crap.

If instead, I use AndroZip to navigate to the Wallpapers directory, and then view from there, I can view and crop the image, apply it as a wallpaper and everything is perfect. Well, except that I still don't see the image in the proper place within Gallery.

Additionally, I do not see any way to force a refresh from within Gallery. I haven't tried power recycling the handset yet, but it would stink to have to do that every time I move files around on the SD card anyway. What gives?