• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gallery/Play Movies app Issues

JAy3001

Android Expert
Dec 13, 2010
UK
Morning all,

Only had this phone a few days atm. But I am having issues with the Galley app and Play Movies app.

I use Astro File Manager by default to browse and edit files on my system. The other day I deleted a few photos from my camera folder and deleted 1 video file and renamed another.

The problem is that the Gallery app is still displaying the deleted photos, only they are displayed as X'ed out as clearly they dont exist! I have tried refreshing the Gallery and still they remain. I also tried clearing the apps data, force closing it and restarting the phone and still they show!! So how on earth do you clear these deleted files from the Gallery app? (See below)

Also the Play Movies app has a similar issue, it is still displaying the deleted movie file as above. But another issue is the renamed movie file will not display at all, instead it shows only the old filename and will not open it as clearly I have renamed it!! Again I have tried clearing the apps cache, force closing and getting it to refresh with no luck.

So what is going on here? Do the files have some sort file checksum in place with buggers them up for certain apps?! I very much doubt this, bit confussing tho.

Also it should be noted if you rename any photo/video it will loose its thumb preview and I know no way of getting it back, this must be linked to the above issue of the phone not picking up the changes.

EDIT: I did notice you can clear the deleted photos/videos from showing if you go into Settings, Storage, Make More Space, Next, Gallery - Wait an age for the refresh.. Then tick the photos without thumbs and delete from the list and hope they are the right ones!

This method is crazy and takes so long to do (and will get worse the more photos I take) and does not resolve the renaming of files issue as they do not show up in the list, only the original filename.

Further to these issues I found out that if you clear the cache from the system app 'Media Storage', restart your phone and then fire up the Gallery/Play Video app they will properly refresh and fix all the broken links.

I guess the best thing to do is to not edit your media files in the a file manager and do so within the Gallery app as they update straight away. Although there is no rename ability?!

What a pain in the butt... :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones