• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gallery running

etsok1

Oct 24, 2012
I noticed that starting last week my gallery is always running even after I force stop it. It is using 15-20% of my battery. Never had this issue before so it might be due to a recent update of something. Anyone see this problem recently or any suggestions. Stock Verizon S3 4.1.2 Thanks

I noticed that starting last week my gallery is always running even after I force stop it. It is using 15-20% of my battery. Never had this issue before so it might be due to a recent update of something. Anyone see this problem recently or any suggestions. Stock Verizon S3 4.1.2 Thanks

If you check under data usage, is it also using a bunch of data? I remember that at one point, my gallery was using a ton of data & I went into the data settings, selected the gallery app, and disabled its access to use background data. That seemed to stop whatever was going on (some kind of syncing) and the usage went away.

Might be something totally different, but couldn't hurt to check...

Upvote 0
Your gallery is using network and CPU resources to rebuild the thumbnails so that the next time you open gallery it will load instant and all fluid like. This will happen anytime you clear all your cache files without any intervention. Best thing to do is let it sit and finish it's stuff so the gallery won't be slow!

I used to is SD maid pro to clear cache as I can easily add any folder as an exclusion to my mass cache removal. I hope that helps man I promise it will go away eventually. You can even backup all photos to a computer and remove from phone that way it loads fast!

** Edit / Added **
As pointed out by me and other good examples in above posts there are many things that are temporary solutions but as for syncing I believe that will come from Google Plus if you enable the instant upload feature but Picasa thumbs are synced for me automatically as I use that service too.

Need more help? Reply back here, also I'm PetRiLJoe on Gtalk.

Reactions: etsok1
Upvote 0
I think I have found the problem. After looking to see if something was trying to sync my photos, I discovered that an update to my Google account has added a bunch of new sync options. By default it syncs everything from App data to people details. Among the 11 things it syncs is Google Photos so it kept opening the Gallery to sync it. I disabled the options I don't need and so far that seems to have taken care of the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones