Gallery: unwanted photos

Last Updated:

1. GClax24

GClax24 Active Member This Topic's Starter

How do I make my gallery show only pictures and not album art or wall papers? I know those folders require a file but I don't know what it's called or where I'd find it.

Advertisement
  2. Telstar_2112

Telstar_2112 Well-Known Member

Its called .nomedia. Find it on phone and copy into folder you dont want to see

3. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Will this apply to sub folders as well? i.e. could I put it in /system/ or /data/ and stop all the stuff in the sub directories from showing up?

4. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

You are my hero...I've never heard about this before. So great to be able to hide media from the Gallery.

5. othgar

othgar Well-Known Member

I just did a search and there is nothing on my phone called no media. Do I need to create a folder?

6. Nidisa

Nidisa Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm not doing this right....please advise.

*I mounted my phone to my computer
    *Opened Word and created a file named .nomedia and saved it to my desktop
    *Dropped .nomedia into multiple files on my phone that show up in gallery that I do not want to show up in gallery
    *Unmounted phone and restarted
    *All files are still showing up in gallery

What am I doing wrong?

7. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Just us a plain text editor, Notepad for example and save an empty (blank) file named nomedia.txt. Move the file to your phone and rename it .nomedia (make sure you don't use any extensions.) Place the file in any directory that has pics that you don't want to show up in gallery and you should be good to go.

BigRedGonzo

8. nessthiss

nessthiss Well-Known Member

There's a good chance you already have this file somewhere on your sd card. Use Astro to do a search for nomedia and see if it comes up. I got 5 instances on mine, from folders like Foursquare and Twidroid. You can use Astro to simply copy it into any folder you want.

9. e4tmyl33t

e4tmyl33t Member

Hm. Just a thought, if I were to place this file inside my Music folder, would it prevent the any music applications from seeing the music inside, being that it's 'media'?

With that, I'm off to do this as I've got a few folders that are showing up that I don't want to see in the Gallery.

10. bills534

bills534 Well-Known Member

Yep that's exactly how it works. I tried this before because I didn't want album art showing up in my gallery, It got rid of the album art from the gallery but also prevented the mp3 player from finding the music. I ended up just deleting the album art because most mp3s have that info embedded into them now.

11. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

Create a folder called .hiddenpics (or whatever you wanna call it just make sure there is a '.' in front of the name).
    Put all hidden pics in here.
    Folder will vanish, you will need Astro File Manger to create this folder and view these pics from now on. Gallery will never pull them unless you rename the folder and remove the period before the name

King_Bean likes this.
  12. mcapozzi

mcapozzi Well-Known Member

Funny, I couldn't create a .nomedia file through windows explorer. Kept getting a "You must type a file name" error.

I used Astro to rename an existing 0 byte text file, and that worked.

-Mike

13. NoOneCanHelpMe

NoOneCanHelpMe New Member

make the file, and then use Astro File Mananager to rename it, it is gonna say that removing the ext of the file u could make it unusable or whatever. Then One other thing I did, that noone said was to remove all the thumbs already made, I did that cuz I had pics transfered from my old Nokia and the thums messed up with the Photo app on my HTC Desire and Photo app makes its own thumbs as well I think. Everything is nice and tidy now :) Hope that helps

14. King_Bean

King_Bean Well-Known Member

Good thread. Bumpworthy, I'd say. The ".hiddenpics" tip from Sinful Dragon worked like a charm.