Game Request: Risk

Last Updated:

1. XxMerlinxX

XxMerlinxX Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'd like an online version of Risk to play on my phone. Just throwing that out there. :D

Advertisement
  2. XxMerlinxX

Lol, I'm the only one?

3. cmh0114

cmh0114 Well-Known Member

I'd like an online version of Risk, too, but it'd be really difficult to program. Do you want to access an existing online website that provides Risk, or do you want an entirely new service? Do you want it to be online against other players or against CPU's, or both?
    Personally, I don't have enough experience to be able to create a Risk game, and I doubt I have enough experience to even access it from an existing service, but there's going to be someone here who could.

4. LeffelMania

LeffelMania Active Member

I actually have a one-device version of the game completed. By that I mean you can play six players on one device, not across multiple. It still needs a complete art make-over but the gameplay functionality is all there. Can send you a beta .apk if you wanna check it out.

[​IMG]

If anyone's familiar with network programming for android or how I can get access to a server to run the networking code on, I can pretty easily set up a multi-device version of the game. Happy to collaborate if you've got some ideas.

5. cmh0114

I'd be glad to help you develop it further, but I have no experience with Android networking, so I'd be no help there. I could help you in most other stuff, though; I'm looking to get experience developing.

6. michaelwc

michaelwc Member

is this still in development? I am beyond excited! I'd like to see a push-type system for turns and rounds across devices. Attacks could be sent via push to each player involved. Then reinforcement stages could work the same way, once they are placed they player ends the stage and everyone in the game is notified and the next player starts.

Each player could play their turn or roll during battles at their own pace. Epic games spanning days or weeks would be really cool. If this runs on a server you'd have to figure out a way to have games expire if not used, maybe after 3 days or so.

Another way this could work is via sms/mms. You could start a game as player 1 and input everyone's phone numbers or select from contacts and then send game invites and sync the player data across devices. Each player interaction (maybe with the exception of rolls) would be broadcast to all players ala messaging groups and then each message would be interpreted by the app. Probably via some sort of code within the message.

One feature I would really like to see is the ability of an eliminated player to keep watching/subscribed to the game and see the results. It would prevent people from losing interest in long games if they get eliminated and keep them excited about the app.

I really hope development keeps going on a proper version of RISK. all other games just arent true to what made this game great.

7. LeffelMania

It's still in development, in so much as I'm still trying to figure out how to implement cross-device updates. SMS would actually be really simple to do, but the number of board updates/refreshes would be really annoying to receive a text message from each one.

I've started some reliable networking code that interfaces with a server on my home computer to manipulate the file system and fetch the appropriate game data, but that clearly won't scale well as traffic increases, and my computer is not set up to be a static-IP server (nor would I want to use it as one).

What I need is a server that each phone can send messages to to fetch game data and receive board updates. I feel like Google App Engine can provide that for me, but so far I'm having trouble grasping how. If anyone has experience with it or has any advice, I'm all ears. I'd LOVE to publish this game, but without cross-device multiplayer I don't see a point to releasing the single-device version at all.

8. michaelwc

michaelwc Member

i did some checking into various types of games and it seems that it's called PBEM or Play by Email. Maybe doing some research into that type of game development would yield some results.

Again, I'd love to get my risk-fix.

9. LeffelMania

After some more research tonight I'm pretty confident I can, in fact, utilize Google App Engine to function as my web server to communicate with. It'll take some time to learn the API's associated with communicating and with storing data, but I think that's definitely my solution and I'll be working on this pretty hard going into the future, and I'm trying to procure an artist to redo the graphics. So... stay tuned I guess. If you want a beta .apk of the single-device version I can send you one, if you wanna give some feedback on the game flow/mechanics, etc.

10. michaelwc

michaelwc Member

im down!

11. cmh0114

Are you offering this to anyone who wants to test? If you are, i'd be interested. XD

12. LeffelMania

Sure, have at it. There's a lot of rough edges in it right now (like having to long-press the names on the setup screen to add players instead of regular-press), and I plan on adding Help options for each stage of gameplay, but you should be able to figure it out. Here's a public link to the .apk file:

Edit: Removed .apk, close to releasing online version.

Obviously the art will be redone, but let me know if there's any bugs in the game mechanics or you have constructive suggestions.

13. XxMerlinxX

Thanks for staying ontop of this Leffel, I look forward to what you can come up with.

14. LeffelMania

Happy to do it, I was working on it before I saw this thread to be honest. Right now I'm in test-and-polish-mode prepping for a release hopefully within the next month. I went ahead and removed the .apk to the single player version since so much has changed in the online version.

Actually if you'd be interested I'm more than happy to send you (and anyone else) the current multiplayer .apk and play with you just to test everything on different devices. Just say the word.

15. cmh0114

The single-player mode worked out pretty well on my Motorola Droid. The only problem I noticed was that the clickable areas were fairly small. Instead of clicking anywhere on the country, you had to click right on the number. It's not even a small irritation, but it's the only thing I noticed that wasn't working. :)

Could I try the multiplayer apk?

16. LeffelMania

Here's the multiplayer APK:

War with Friends Beta.apk
    ^-- If you downloaded this before 9pm PST on 8/5 you need to re-install it, or you won't be able to progress past the "Turn Cards In" phase. My bad.

It should work for you until I get to the point where I'm releasing or I otherwise need to wipe the database (changing the data schemes, for example). But I think I've got it to a pretty stable point that I shouldn't have to wipe the database until release.

If you install it, go ahead and add "LeffelMania" to your friends - this will automatically add you to my friends list as well. Feel free to create a game and invite me, distribute the .apk to your friends and invite them, whatever.

I also added a "Zoom In" menu option to the map for smaller screens. It will increase the size of the map and icons by 25%. Should make things easier to press, but will require more panning to get to the other side of the map.

17. LeffelMania

18. LeffelMania

Shameless bump: Released to Android Market as "War with Friends" for $1.99. Pick it up if you're interested!

19. KingPappy

KingPappy Active Member

There is a game called "Generals" for ipod/iphone. It is a generic game of RISK, and it is very successful. Also played with "pushes" too make the game at the pace of your own, or they have "blitz" games where you are times 20 seconds too act during each phase of your turn.So if Apple has it, Android can surely have it. It's just a matter of time before someone finds a way. Only Multiplayer though. Lets see something like this come to Android very soon please, come on community!!!

20. KingPappy

KingPappy Active Member

This game is full of bugs, don't waste your money. Forced crashes, puts wrong units into wrong places, doesn't accept your email. Thank me later for warning you ;D

21. pixamark

pixamark Member

22. vinson_88

vinson_88 New Member

They aren't on android yet, but i play risk online for free at a site called victors united
    Victors United and they are launching a mobile game (soon?). Would you pay for risk or would you only want to play if it was free?

23. slammer

slammer Member

Heh vinson,

I have been playing Victors United as well. It is kind of like risk but not exactly. In fact it works pretty good in my browser on my Droid. Obviously better on a full computer but it works on the phone! Ask for an invite to their beta on the page - they give them out fast.

Yes they told me a mobile app was coming too!

24. slammer

slammer Member

Heh vinson,

I have been playing Victors United as well. It is kind of like risk but not exactly. In fact it works pretty good in my browser on my Droid. Obviously better on a full computer but it works on the phone! Ask for an invite to their beta on their site - they give them out fast.

Yes they told me a mobile app was coming too!

25. slammer

slammer Member

Why did my message show up twice ?!?!?!