Game/Side Loading Problem

Last Updated:

1. bobmomento

bobmomento Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so i just got the captivate, like it very much. But i was looking forward to playing Dungeon Hunter HD and Modern Combat: Sandstorm HD on my phone. I understand that there is a program for installing called the "sideload wonder machine" which i tried to run and failed at. My computer is an OSX MacbookPro, and all i'm looking for is a way to get these games on my phone.
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    (Please don't flame me with the sticky, sideloading tutorial, I read it and it appears to be PC oriented, On top of that it sounds a bit too complicated for me, and too risky also. All i need are some step by step instructions)

Advertisement
  2. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

Download 'Root Explorer' from the market. Navigate to dbdata>databases>com.android.provider.settings

copy settings.db to your external sd card then copy it to your computer. Find a database editor compatible with Mac and open the database.

Not exactly sure WHERE the setting is, but you want to find 'Non Market Applications' and change the 0 to a 1. (I'll have to look for the exact part of the database and report back, but that's how I enable side-loading on mine.)

3. Baldilocks

Oh, and if you find it and change it, overwrite the settings.db in the dbdata>databases>com.android.provider.settings directory. Then reboot your phone.

4. bobmomento

k then what do i do after that to get the apps on there, Those specific ones, And could i just get an edited database, lol got 1?

5. Baldilocks

((((( link removed )))))

6. bobmomento

lol u didnt say its payware, will android mate work too? it says android mate can install apk's

7. Baldilocks

Removed the file anyway.......

8. martincarroll84

martincarroll84 Member

First of all let me give you a hand i can help you do this for $6 DONT USE THAT SETTINGS DB THAT GUY POSTED!!!!!! that database also contains your phones physical ID if you copy his file you are inturn copying his phone ID into YOUR PHONE!!!!!! first download root explorer its payware but suck it up then download sqlite editor from the market also PAY ware once both are installed as the previous user stated in root explorer navigate to dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings copy the settings.db file to your sd card open the database and go to secure this will open the secure database you will see the non_market_apps lable change the 0 to 1copy back to the directory coppied from over write and reboot you can now side load **if you brick your phone i do not accept responsibility**

9. bobmomento

K i dont wanna brick it either so lemme get it straight
    Download Root explorer
    Open root explorer
    find dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings
    copy the settings.db file to sd card
    Hook up phone to computer
    Copy file to computer
    Open (im guessing i can get it open in textedit right?) file
    find non_market_apps line
    make 0 a 1
    save it to sd card overwriting the stored settings.db file
    and then overwrite the original file using what?

From there i think i no what im doing, android mate has a installer, from which i have Market Enabler ready to install so i can get Dungeon Hunter HD and Modern Combat: Sandstorm HD .

Please correct me anywhere i'm wrong

10. Baldilocks

You have to use a database editing program. You can't use Notepad or WordPad.

11. huskerkurt

huskerkurt Well-Known Member

One quick question, and I realize this may sound like a stupid question, but I figured I would ask anyway, just to make sure. You said you had a Macbook, when you tried the Sideload Wonder Machine, did you use the Mac version?

12. bobmomento

Oh yeah i did, its a source code file and it's crap. I mean props to the guy for making it but it doesn't work. If you go to the Mac version page he has a conversation with people giving feedback but still doesn't fix its issues. On the other hand PC users get everything nice and shiny. I mean if u have a working version throw it my way.

And Btw i just researched the whole thing and there are like 4 conflicting methods to go about doing this. I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to install Market Enabler via the ANDROID MATE app. Now when i go about doing this it of course tells me only market apps are allowed. So all i need now is the quickest, easiest, safest way to enable non market apps. Is editing that file the best bet? or would rooting, or getting ahold of a good copy of the Sideload Wonder Machine be better?

13. bobmomento

sry to bump, but can someone answer that last questiion