• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GameFly, like Netflix for games

seretogis

Apr 30, 2010
Seattle
I noticed someone mention being reluctant to spend $50-60 on a new game, and thought I'd share a link for GameFly. If you're familiar at all with Netflix and how it works, you now know how GameFly works -- it's the exact same service, but with PS3/PS2/PSP/XBOX/360/Wii/GC/DS/GBA games.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Netflix, GameFly works like this: You have a queue of games you want to play. GameFly sends you the first 1, 2, 3, or 4 from that queue depending on your membership level. You play the games, and send them back whenever you're done with them. When GameFly receives your game, they send you the next one on your list to replace it, and you pay a monthly fee.

Also, if you are playing something you are renting and decide you want to keep it, you just choose "keep it" on their site and they send you the box/manuals/inserts and the next game in your queue. "Keep it" prices are substantially lower than what you'll find used games for at GameStop/EB Games.

Links:
GameFly (non-referral link)

I used Gamefly for about 3 months. The service was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! It was worth the money (2 games at a time plan) in the long run, but my god... the shipping and turn around times were just awful. It would take a total of 7-10 days for the next game in my queue to be sent to me (keep in mind that the nearest distribution center to me is about 8 hours away). I had Netflix going at the same time and it would take a total of about 2-3 days for my next movie to come.

I know Netflix used to have an issue where people would accuse them of purposely taking longer than usual to send out new DVDs because it would save them money. I STRONGLY believe that Gamefly does the same thing to people. The reason why I strongly believe this is because Gamefly would send me an email notification of when they received my game and when they send out the new game. For the 3 months, it was a continuous 3 days to receive a game and then like 3 days later for them to actually send out the new game. It was ALWAYS like that. All of a sudden, when I sent my final 2 games back to them since I canceled the service, the very next day, they sent me an email saying that they received it. So.. for 3 months, it took them 3 days to notice that I sent it back and then when they NEED the games back, they immediately let me know that it was received? That is downright shady.

I just really despise GameFly and wish there was a competing service. Since GameFly doesn't have any competitors and haven't been formally accused of purposely withholding back games, they can really do whatever they want. The 14-day trial is nice... but only expect to have 2 turn arounds. If you complain to them why they are taking so long to do a turn around, they will respond to you basically by saying that it is a trial for you to see how their service is. If you don't like it, then cancel it.

...end GameFly rant.

Upvote 0
Yikes, that sounds like an awful experience. :( I haven't had any problems with them so far, and have been using it for a couple of years now. I generally have about 10-20 games in my queue so there is always something available to be sent to me. Shipping takes about twice as long as Netflix does -- 2 days each way -- but I'm in Seattle and their closest center is in Los Angeles, whereas Netflix has one about an hour away from me in Tacoma.

Upvote 0
I'm actually going to start up Netflix again since I get so bored at work (helping parents by being a graveyard cashier). I've never had any problems with Netflix. They're really understanding if something wrong happens during shipping also. Very fast turn around. You can essentially watch like 6 movies per week if you do a 2-at-a-time plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones