1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Gameloft Games: Excessive Permissions?

Last Updated:

1. FlyHighx

FlyHighx Active Member This Topic's Starter

I was excited about trying out the demos for two Gameloft Games on my EVO that look to have amazing graphics, Dungeon Hunter and HawX but stopped before install due to what I perceive to be sketchy permission requirements. Here are the permissions both games ask for:

YOUR MESSAGES
    edit SMS or MMS, read SMS or MMS, receive SMS

NETWORK COMMUNICATION
    full internet access

STORAGE
    modify/delete SD card contents

SERVICES THAT COST YOU MONEY
    send SMS messages

PHONE CALLS
    read phone state and identity

SYSTEM TOOLS
    change network connectivity, change wi-fi state, prevent phone from sleeping

I am very leary about giving a game some of these permissions and would like to hear some opinions. Why would it be necessary for a game to "edit SMS or MMS, read SMS or MMS, receive SMS", "send SMS messages" or "change my network connectivity" and "change wi-fi state"?

Advertisement
  2. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

When you install it downloads data and stores most of it to the SD card, hence the need for Network and Storage permissions. Prevent phone from sleeping seems a no-brainer too. Not quite sure what the SMS settings are for, but I recall getting my download links via SMS when I installed GL games in the past.

3. queenrocks77

queenrocks77 Well-Known Member

A lot of.the market games do this as well. Its just discloser bs

4. FlyHighx

I've haven't come across any apps requesting the SMS/MMS permissions like this so I figured I'd get some opinions. I think I'll drop a line to gameloft and see what they say.

5. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

The SMS is for purchasing, you are sent a one-time download link via SMS. I am boycotting Gameloft until they adhere to the Android Market's rules and sell through the market like every other legitimate developer for Android.

6. JiMMaR

JiMMaR Well-Known Member

sms is probably for verification
    it sends an sms to somewhere (containing your phone identity [IMEI probably]) and wait for the result , read the incoming sms to verify
    sending = sending sms
    editing = reading the incoming sms (reply) and then deleting it

wifi enabling is to download the game data

just an educated guess

7. FlyHighx

makes sense.

I did email the dev and I'll post the response if/when I get it, for all those interested.

I agree with necosino, do they think they're too good for the android market like everyone else? I wonder if their business model is paying off or if they are losing business due to lack of exposure? I wonder how many people like myself never even knew they existed? Although to be fair, I did come across them eventually.

8. steadicam

steadicam New Member

Just wondering why the 3 Gameloft games pre-installed on my HTC (Uno, Asphalt 5 and Let's Golf) are always running... even after closing/killing them. They always restart in the background on their own. Just how much memory, battery life and data are head using... and can you uninstall them?

9. hansschmucker

hansschmucker Well-Known Member

Usually not without rooting. Just leave them alone and Android will keep them running, but inactive, meaning that they use virtually no resources. An application on Android can be running, but not getting any CPU time or memory :)

10. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

You can certainly uninstall but I highly doubt they use much memory or battery.

You can see how much battery and app uses by going here:

(from phone's home screen)

press menu > settings > applications > battery use