• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gamepad-supported racing games?

Can anyone name any gamepad-supported racing games for Android?

GT Racing 2 supports gamepads, but very very stupidly. They made the analog sticks digital. That means that the moment you move the stick outside of its deadzone, the car steers 100% in that direction. Using the analog sticks in this game is no different from using the dpad, or a keyboard. Even though in the game itself, if you DONT use a gamepad, you can steer properly, and make minor adjustments, if you use the onscreen wheel or the tilt sensor.

Asphalt 7 supports gamepads, but its hidden, and broken. You have to select "Control Type D", which is just a different arrangement of the on-screen buttons, and for some reason this magically enables gamepad support. You can steer just fine, better than in GT Racing 2, but you can't use the gas or brakes or nitrous or anything else. None of it is mapped.

Asphalt 8 supports SOME gamepads, but not the ones I'm using, and again without analog steering.

Real Racing 3 does not support gamepads.

Riptide GP2 supports gamepads perfectly, with analog steering and analog gas/brake using the triggers, which none of the other games do (they all use the A/X buttons for gas/brake), but it's a pretty boring-ass game, not to mention it isn't racing, it's a stunts game. And it's not cars, its jetskis, which i have no interest for.

Anyone know of any? I can use Tincore to map my gamepad to the touchscreen, if the game uses a "virtual joystick", which is pretty easy to emulate. Unfortuantely, I haven't found a single racing game that uses a virtual joystick. They all use virtual "wheels", which involve a circular turning swipe motion, instead of a stick, which Tincore cannot simulate.

I have a Steel Series Free and would love to use it with more racing games. I have both versions of Riptide but you are right these are not proper racing games. I have GRiD 2 on my gaming PC.

I just posted something on the Gameloft forums asking about proper analog support. Hopefully one day they will fix it.

--technomad

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones